Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Expressing Help Please!!

Hi

My daughter is 6 weeks old and so I would like to give expressing a try so hubby can feed her now and again but just not sure where to start. I have a manual pump and a couple of bottles but don't know when is best time to express? Do I feed her on one side then express the other and then go back to the first when she is hungry again? What if she gets hungry and I'm empty coz I expressed it all? If she feeds from both sides how long should I wait till expressing and how often should I be doing it? Do I need to warm it before giving it to her? If so how? And anything else you think I might need to know!!
Sorry for soooooo many questions but can't seem to find straight forward answers anywhere.:\?

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• Options
    Hey hun, it is all a bit confusing isnt it! I have been expressing for a couple of weeks now, i tend to express first thing in the morning, once during the day while she's sleeping, and then before bed. I express from whichever side feels fullest, for example first thing i'll be feeding her from one side and expressing from the other to ease the discomfort! Don't worry if she wants feeding straight after, you produce to meet demand so she'll still get milk from you! Once you've finished expressing you need to put the milk in a sealed container (you can buy breast milk storage bags and pots) and pop it in to the fridge or freezer asap. If kept in the fridge it needs to be used within 24 hours, deep freeze it keeps for 3 months. When you want to use it, pop it in a bottle and in to a jug of boiling water, and warm it to skin temperature (if you put a little on your wrist you shouldnt be able to feel it) One thing i will say is don't worry if you don't manage to get much out, it takes time forr your body to get used to expressing! When i first started i was lucky to get an ounce. I've just bought a medela swing electric pump and its fantastic, well worth the money! Good luck xxx
  • Options
    If kept in the fridge it needs to be used within 24 hours, deep freeze it keeps for 3 months.

I have been told by the breastfeed advisor in hospital and breastfeeding leaflets, you can keep expressed breastmilk in the fridge for 5 days. (it needs to be in the back of the fridge, not the door) And in the freezer for 6 months (but you need to cool it down before putting it in the freezer)
  • Options
    Hi,
    I also have a Medela swing - it is fabulous. In terms of when to express, I started expressing in the morning because everybody said that was when there was most milk, but I found it really hard to do it just after I had fed my baby - with winding her and putting her to play, and getting breakfast, I would often wait 1 and a half hours, and then it would get close to her nap, and then she would want to feed again. I found it a lot less stressful to express in the evening, although admittedly it was once she had dropped the 11pm feed. I just express instead. Based on advice from here, I express both sides. I always get a small amount from the side I've recently fed her on, but it means what I get is more hind milk anyway. I also get a lot less from one side than the other, but this is quite normal. I don't express everyday because we don't give her bottles every day, but every day she gets a bottle I do. You can also stock pile milk, so if you aren't able to express a full feed in one go (some women aren't and breast feed fine) then you can do it over a couple of days (if you don't give a bottle everyday). Also, my LO takes a bottle very well from her Daddy, and from other people, but she won't take one from me.
    Good luck!
    Ally x
  • Options
    Hi
    Looking in all my breastfeeding books they say 'should be used within 48 hours if kept in the fridge and 3 months if in the freezer.
    viki x
  • Options
    Hi
    Looking in all my breastfeeding books they say 'should be used within 48 hours if kept in the fridge and 3 months if in the freezer.
    viki x