Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Best nipple cream and breastpads?

I was in Boots today in the baby section and I was astounded by the amounts of different nipple creams and breastpads!!!
I'm a first timer and keen to feed myself so bare with me :lol:

Do I need nipple cream? Which is one is best or are they all the same?

The breast pads is it best to use washable or disposables? How often do I need to change them, how many will I need? Will I leak less the longer I breastfeed and thus not needing pads?

Thanks girls :\) xxx

[Modified by: MrsT on 23 May 2008 21:36:05 ]

[Modified by: MrsT on 23 May 2008 21:37:10 ]

Replies

• Hi,
    i would get the lansinoh nipple cream, in the purple tube - it's the most expensive, but it really works. I thought i'd be clever and get the cheaper stuff, but it was a false economy.

I got 6 reusable breast pads which has been fine because i haven't leaked too much. My baby fed so often at the start that i certainly didn't need many, and he slowed down so gradually that it wasn't too bad. And you'll be doing a wash nearly every day anyway, so you can just throw them in when you're washing baby's clothes.

Good luck with the bf - i was in agony for 5 weeks with it (didn't know about that nipple cream from the start unfortunately!), but kept going and now it's the best thing in the world - me and my baby are so close. It's amazing.
    xx
  • hello,
    lansimoh cream is about ??10 but definately worth it. It comes in a 56g tube and although expensive you only need a little dot of it so goes far. It looks abit like vaseline. I put it on after every feed and really helps soothe my nipples. Lo has a habit of falling asleep with a storng suck and i used to pull her offer as didnt know how to unlatch her.

I brought avent reusable pads as they seemed better value for money. were ok for small leakage pre birth. However since my dd born my breasts have leaked loads....washable pads were do not have waterproof side (obviously) so gave me wet bras and tops! now using disposable and getting through some but not needing to wash my bras often. Have now brought avent nipple shields as recommended on a post i did. This means you can save milk and use it later rather than it soacking into pads. you could buy washable ones as they will be good for small leakages. see how you go and if you find you leak loads you can buy disposable that way ur not wasting your money.xxx
  • I use asda pads and they are cheap and effective! Tescos are crap! I only use one pair a day coz i dont leak much.

I have never had to use nipple cream but ive been lucky!
  • I'd agree with recommedations to use lansinoh nipple cream. I found it to be the best.
    I used johnsons breast pads. I found them to be really comfy and didn't have any accidents with them. On a night I used the tommy tippee ones because they are bogger so when I tossed and turned on a night they kept me covered!
    Next time round I might consider using reusable ones because at one point I was changing at every feed but after a few months I wasn't wearing any at all.
    Vic xxx
  • hi i use johnsons and tommy tippee breastpads they are def the best disposables and thy have a sticky bit on one side so the pad sticks to the inside of your bra so it doesnt move or fall out.i also bought some breast shells from boots (around ??5)for feeding time so when i feed baby on one breast i put a shell on the other and the leaking milk collects in the shell then you can either save it or dispose of it therefor saving you a breastpad that you would of had to put there.
  • hi I use lansinoh pads usually. This week I bought boots own and they are rubbish.
    I think Johnsons are the ones that leave fluff all over your nipple.
    I use one or two a day max....only leak about 2 times a week.
    I have never needed to use any cream with either of my babies.

Amanda
  • Just wanted to add to the Lanisol cream - def the best
  • Hi, Lansinoh NC is the best & have it ready to use from the start - I didn't & had severely sore nipples for atleast two weeks.
    I used Johnsons BP whilst pregnant as soft & a good shape. I used AVENT washables after birth & soaked 16 a day! So eventually discovered Tommee Tippee disposables as the best for mega leakers!

You may be able to get the Lansinoh nipple cream on prescription - I did twice, one tube for me & one for my sister in France as it costs ??15 there! I'm gonna try to get it again this time but I think someone in my area mentioned that their doctors had stopped giving it.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• totally agree with Nicx, i use asda pads and they are great and cheap they even have the sticky pad on the back so they don't slip! i did use tesco's but they were pants! xx
  • If you are going to breast feed then the lansinoh nipple cream is a must.I was in agony with sore nipples but then my midwife said oh I've got loads of free samples of it to try - wish she had suggested it earlier.But anyway I still brought a tube and found that it went on better if I rubbed it between my fingers.The best ??10 you will ever spend.

I brought mothercare breast pads but never really needed to use them as I never leaked a drop.If anyone has any ideas on what other things I could use them for then let me know - I have 3 boxes of them. Coasters maybe??
  • My lo is 8 months and i've used kamilosan nipple cream and johnson's breast pads all through. Kamilosan also good for nappy rash! Al x
  • my baby wouldn't feed when i had kamilosan on, i had to wipe it away each time which was extremely painful!!
    i wasn't told about lansinoh at the time but everyone raves about it! always sells out in my store! sainsbury's are selling it half price til tues or wed so stock up while you can!!!
  • As you've probably gathered by now Lansinoh cream is the best stuff, although it's more of a vasaline than a cream.

Breastpads I'm not sure as I didn't leak much but found that any that had a sticky back to keep them in place in your bra were a good idea.
  • tommee tipee pads are the best i think as they have a sticky bit and a plactic backing so if you leak alot then it doesn't leak through the pad! i didn't like any of the creams as it was too much of hassle always cleaning it off and reaplying am a lazy sod lol, i got pads from the chemist cooling soothing pads that you just cut to shape and pop on your nipple they were ace, there actually used for cuts and grazes!