Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

What is single sided feeding?

Is it as obvious as it sounds? What happens if you feed from the one boob until it is empty but baby is still hungry - do you offer the other boob?If you do are you still doing single sided feeding?

Does anyone do single sided feeding? Would you recommend it?????

Ta ladies. xxSara

Replies

• Most babies have a preference to one boob over the other, but there is no advantage to single sided feeding - especially early on as you will need milk from both sides ideally (although it is possible to feed from only one side). I know a lady who is happily single side feeding (which is exactly as it sounds) - but she waited until about 8 or 9 months - when he was eating lots of other food as well so it wasn't his main source of nutrition.

I'm not sure of your circumstances but basically unless there is a real reason to single side feed then i wouldn't until baby is a bit older and less reliant on mummy milk!

Hope that helps a bit!

xxx
  • Thanks little O. I've been reading Baby Whisperer and she talks about single sided feeding but so far hasn't actually explained what it is! But I sort of guessed.

So I'm thinking that when you are trying to establish breastfeeding you need to offer both breasts to ensure that they both go on making milk?
  • We single side feed but not really by choice! In the early days we had lots of problems as Lyvi was premature and very small. It took several weeks until she could even latch on (I was expressing and giving her this in the meantime) and then she really favoured my left side. It then took her a few more weeks until she learned to latch on my right side, however by then it was REALLY painful to feed off that side. I guess because my nipple had never got 'toughed up' starting with the gentle sucking of a newborn. HV said to leave it if it was too painful and ever since we've just stuck to the left side.

The huge disadvantage is that I am very wonky! :roll: I do express from the right side but only twice a day and, of course, its nothing like a baby sucking so my right breast doesn't produce all that much milk.

Your breasts will adapt to produce what milk it needs as BF'ing is supply and demand but I do sometimes worry what if something goes wrong on the left side, but not as much as in the early days.

I am thinking of trying again on the right side as I'd like to increase my milk supply on that side.

If you CAN feed from both sides then I don't really see an advantage to single sided feeding. Does the BW recommend it then?

Love NN and Olyvia xxx
  • Hi Natty - just look at your gorgeous little girl!!

Yeah the old Baby Whisperer recommends single sided feeding in a slightly I-am-right-about-this-don't-answer-back manner.

But actually I'm starting to think that what she thinks of a single sided feeding is not what other people would think. I think what she means is that you offer the one breast until it is totally empty. Then the next feed you feed on the other breast, until it is totally empty. So although you are only feeding from the one breast you are still feeding from both, if you see what I mean.

There's no special reason why I would end up only feeding from the one breast, I just wanted to find out what she meant!
  • Sara, you are right with your last post. You feed of one side for one feed and offer the next side at the following feed. This is a very helpful method if your baby has tummy troubles as they only get one lot of fore milk meaning they don't have a lactose overload. Also, if you have a forceful let down, it can help your baby not get too much wind as they may gulp when you have your couple of initial let downs. H
  • I've never heard of it, or tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It seems like more trouble than its worth! If you're looking for comfort and ease, try a Glider (http://www.squidoo.com/best-baby-gliding-rocking-chairs-and-ottoman)! That always works for me!
  • My baby has silent reflux and I have a strong let down, ive single side fed him and it has been much better when I compare to my last baby who I fed usual way. Its one boob until empty than next feed other boob. Baby gets more fats and less lactose as stated above also better for snackers. Feeds last about 45 mins in the beginning and as baby gets bigger they get shorter, im having other problems now with feeding at nite! Too distracted during the day and feeding all night. Anyway good luck. image