Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

BREAST FEEDING AND DIETING?????

Is it ok to diet and has anyone succesfully done it???

I was told your body will store more fat if you cut down. Now i know this last week i have been good YET i dont seem to have dropped any weight. I am sick of been overweight and not feeling nice in my clothes. I dont want to upset my milk supply as at 22 weeks all is still going really well and she is still only getting my milk...no solids nothing!

I live abroad and no WW or Slimclub etc... any advice would be much apprecaited as would any diet sheets anyone could send for BF mums???

d xxx

Replies

• Personally, I wouldn't change my diet much to lose weight as it could affecr your milk. Instead just walk everywhere you can and that way you'll be burning calories from bf and walking too.

I eat loads of junk everyday, plus healthy food too! Since giving birth I take lo in the pram and walk to shops etc etc and have steadily lost the weight, just another half stone to get back to pre-preg size and lo is only 6 weeks old.
  • I've been following ww (you could try online?) and have lost nearly 2 stone in 4 months - so a healthy loss.
    I get extra points for bf, so don't think my milk has suffered at all and i still get to eat quite a lot!
  • I cant walk anywhere at moment as its 45 degrees most days with 100% humidity....nightmare!!!!!!

I am home to UK for whole of August so will walk everywhere then. Even in the rain...love it!!!!!! Dont get much here!!!!!!!!!

Will check out WW and well done. This is my 5th baby and its so hard this time. With first second and third the weight fell off but with 4 and now 5 it is a bit stubborn. Also, I am 39 so bit of middle aged spread creeping in!!

d xxx
  • D, I so know how you feel - I'm 38 and just had my 4th and the weight just seems to want to stay (mind you I am eating crap for days!) It is definitely harder to shift after you are 35 I think (and after you go above 2 children!)

Maybe you could wrap yourself in clingfilm and sit outside in the heat!! That'll sweat a few pounds off (might kill you in the process mind!)

Let me know if you find anything that works - my lo is only 7 weeks old but I am so sick of being a lard now I'm thinking of doing something fairly soon!xx
  • A week ago I put myself on a diet (as i have a shicking 3 stone to loose!) and I have lost a pitiful amount this week - do you think its becasue I'm not eating enough!?!? I think I'm having about 1500 cals a day on this diet and its all veg, fruit etc - nothing faddy just a good balanced calorie controlled diet...
  • i have read that if you cut down too much then your body stops burning fat and stores is as it knows it needs it for milk. Best to up to 2000 cals i think as you need 500 extra for milk production.

karen.....ugh the thought of me wrapped in cling film sweating outside........not worth thinking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On my baby born march 08 forum we have beed brave and admitted our weight and going to have weekly weigh ins!!!! anyone can join in

d xxx