Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice/help with growth spurt

Hi my little boy is 19 days old and since last Thursday he has been feeding constantly night and day, before that he was feeding about every 2.5 hours. I've been told this is his 3 week growth spurt and it should last a few days but it's already lasted 4 and he doesn't seem to be letting up.

I was so exhausted last night I gave him some formula and he settled but I really don't want to give up so I put him back on my breast today and he's fed all day and won't settle when I put him down, he's barely slept all day and I doubt he will tonight.

Can anyone give me any advice how long these growth spurts last? Will it stop?? How have you all coped with little or no sleep for days??? Any advice on how to deal with it would be greatly appreciated.

Claire & hungry George xxx

Replies

• Oh sweetie, I remember these growth spurts really taking it out of you! Tbh I did have days and days of feeling totally drained, it does take it out of you, but if you can manage to keep going it does regulate and is soooo worth it!

Think of it like a tap that you more you take out, the more is produced. So baby is going thru a growth spurt, and sucking and sucking , and you are thinking 'is he getting anything?" so the next day, or within a couple of days your boob thinks 'must produce more' and does. Then a week later baby may have a quiet day or 2, and your boob has got used to producing more, so gets engorged. Then you are desp to feed, but they are asleep LOL!

Now if you introduce a formula feed, your boob will never get that 'needs more' message, so will never produce more.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a friend who swore by formula top up feeds to get her through the hungry phases, but she did go more and more onto the bottle whereas I am still going strong, bf at 20 mths!

Wish you the best
    xxx
  • thanks Mims for the encouragement, can I ask though do they last days or is this going to go on for weeks??? I don't think I can handle it if it does image x x
  • thanks Mims for the encouragement, can I ask though do they last days or is this going to go on for weeks??? I don't think I can handle it if it does image x x
  • Hey hun, just wanted to say well done on managing to go back to breastfeeding, I know you were so upset that you had switched, so am chuffed to bits for you that he has latched back on. I'm afraid I've no hints on the growth spurts though have to say I'm dreading them! At the mo Fred feeds every 3 hours and has settled in to 20 - 30 min feeds. It often takes a while to get him back off to sleep so I'm managing on between 3 and 4 hours sleep a night, usually in hourly stints.. I've really tried to sleep in the day when he does but I just lie there without dropping off. I go from feeling emotionally drained and exhausted and feeling I cant cope, to having little moments of calm and feeling ok. I am shattered and craving a full nights uninterrupted sleep!

keep plugging away flower and make sure you rely on your support network, I have found the community midwives and breastfeeding counsellors at hospital a godsend, they may be able to give you advice and help and some reassurance that this phase will pass in a day or so.

Sending huge hugs, am always here if you need to chat.

xxxx
  • Thanks Slippers, I can totally relate to the emotionally drained, exhausted and unable to cope feelings, I think youre doing really well on 3/4 hours sleep though, I try and aim for 6 in 2 hour stints and even thats hard, so well done you!

Ive been really lucky George seems to be a clever little man and latched straight back on so no problems there, yesterday he did go back to hourly feeds so this morning I contacted my wonderful midwife (even though Ive been discharged to the HV) and she advised me that George should be able to manage to go 2 hours without a feed and that a growth spurt should only last 1/2 days so hes possibly got into the habit of snacking so I need to get him out of it!!

She gave me lots of useful tips and I came off the phone so much happier. Ive manged to stretch him out for the last 2 feeds to 2 hours and 2 and half hours so I think we are getting back on the right track. Im determind now so hopefully in a day or so we might have cracked it.

Fred is doing well going 3 hours so your must be doing really good Slippers. As for settling him back off, have you tried a dummy? I really didnt want to give George one but have rethought in the last few days!

Thanks for your support hugs, sending you hugs back and fingers crossed for a good night for both of us!!

Claire xx