Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What should I do?

Hi, need some advise really....My LO was born march 30 (this year), we got a bad start BF as the midwives at the hospital were useless....I had sore nipples almost immediately, and they weren't interested in helping despite me asking ALOT! When I got home I phoned my midwife for help and she did help us, as well as getting the BF councilor (sp?) to help us too. My baby lost weight then lost more, he just cried and cried even after he fed for 2 hours at a time, so I've had to top him up with formula (using aptimil 1) so he wouldn't be ill. I am BF, EBM and FF. I had been BF on demand, for as long as he wanted to feed, but he just never seemed full, right from the beginning, the longest he would settle for (after a BF) was 30 min, maybe an hour. He's 2 months now and I'm still giving formula he now has 180ml (6oz) and will settle and seem full after this, but if he has the same amount of EBM, he cries after like he's still hungry. When I express I get about 150ml (5oz) each time. Should I give him more EBM in each bottle? Do you think I make enough milk for him? Or is my milk just rubbish? Thinking about giving up BF:cry: as he just doesn't seem happy. Also midwife etc says my latch looks fine, and also we are being treated for thrush (he has nystatin). Thank you for reading and any words of wisdom. x x x

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, I'm not really sure what the best advice would be. It sounds a little bit like he's getting alot of your "foremilk" rather than much fatty "hindmilk", which is what really fills them up. The foremilk is more thirstquenching. It may be that he's not latching long enough or not quite properly to get at the hind milk, or maybe your body just isn't producing much of it, and this would be the same with your ebm, as it may be mostly the foremilk.
    I would say that if he is getting more satisfied with formula it might be worth giving him a bit more. I know it can disappointing to give formula, however you need to remember that you have done a fantastic job to feed him as you have done, and if it makes him a little bit happier then you will feel better. Remember the mantra "a happy baby=a happy mummy". You can still mix feed if you are enjoying bf however if you are getting upset your milk supply make be affected anyway, so you need to trust your instincts and go with it. You will know best hun. Hope that helps.
    Good luck and let us know how you're getting on.
  • Options
    Formula milk fills babies up more than brestmilk so they dont need as much! Try giving him more EBM in bottle. My lo wanted to feed what felt like all the time he wouldn't take a bottle and didnt like formula, so i just had to stick at it. The more you breastfeed the more milk you produce so maybe if you feed him more often you might get more milk!!!
    xx