Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

twins and breast feeding....

has anyone done this?
was it ok?

did it work?

i'm hiring an electric pump - any advise gladly received!

Love Bunty x

Replies

• Options
    hiya, i cant talk from my own experience but my mum sucessfully bf my bros til they were 10 months so it can be done sucessfully and if you have any questions id gladly pass them on. as for the pump id go carefull. its not a great idea in the first few weeks with one l/o due to confussing your supply and it being time consuming to do feeds and pumping etc, so i really wouldnt recommend it with 2.

best of luck. sian
  • Options
    oooh. thak sfor your comments - esp abpout the breast pump....

i had a single baby last time, and we only managed to bf for 4 weeks....
    so i'm really hoping to do a bit longer this time....

keep your fingers crossed for me!image
  • Options
    I combination feed mine. I tried but had many complications. I think I was just unlucky. Now I believe that any breast milk is better than no breast milk. If you are intending to do it you will need help as b/fing will be a full time job so someone to supply meals and make sure you are eating ok etc. It's easy to put yourself last and that has a knock on effect to your milk supply. I was told not to pump at all before 6 weeks as your milk will be well and truly in by then.
    And bottles for two is a right pain.
  • Options
    Hi my friend breastfed her twins with no formula at all for 8 months after struggling with her first baby. She had a wonderful cushion thing that was given to her from another mum who had had twins which was a bit like a v pillow but firmer and her boys just lay on it one under each arm feeding at the same time. It didn't take her long to get the hang of getting them both latched on at the same time. Bf twins at the same time is like dual expressing where you produce more milk. xx
  • Options
    Yes you are right Arg. A widgey cushion is a godsend. It can be done with normal cushions but it is difficult as they slide about. I was told to not tandem feed at first until I got the hang of 'rugby' holding one. Also latch on the fussy twin first and then introduce the other. The first few weeks are knackering. Really knackering. But hang on in there. I wish I had been luckier with my two.
  • Options
    Just read your advice, I am 15 wks pregnant with twins and struggled feeding my 1st boy, who now is only 9 months (yes I know 3 under 2?!?!?) although I expressed for 7 weeks and definately had enough milk for 2 then so hopefully will suceed this time, as I have lots of friends who are still breastfeeding and know a girl with 1 month old twins who is breastfeeding so will be looking to them for advice and support. Good luck yourself hope you still going well with the feeding.