Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

frozen breat milk

hay was wondering if anyone could help me im due in 13 weeks andstill aint got all the breatfeeding info ive been trying to get. when u express the milk in the bottle for frezzer use how does that work i mean how long can it stay in there ? does it need to be defrosted before use i must sound like a loon but have no idea as im still learning and noone i no has brest feed before would really like to hear your comments

Replies

• Options
    also was wondering how much is enough ? if my child doesnt eat all milk in bottle do i throw it away or keep it for next feed ? im so confused really need help :\?
  • Options
    Hiya hon, firstly congratulations on your pregnancy and well done for choosing to bf!

When you buy your expressing machine, it will come with instructions for expressing and should also have details regarding freezing/refigerating milk etc.

To start with, when my lo was tiny I used to express adn freeze in batches of 2-3oz. When he got to around 5-6 weeks I then moved up to 4oz.

Once you have defrosted breastmilk (in the fridge or in warm water if you're using straight away) you can keep it for 12 hours in the fridge. you can also add more freshly expressed milk to it if you need to.

Milk can be stored in the back of the fridge for up to 3 days - I always used to sip mine before giving to lo as I was paranoid it would go off - it is exactly like cows milk in that it will taste sour if it has gone off.

Best time for expressing is in the morning apparently and I found this to be very true.

Good luck honxx
  • Options
    hay karen thanks for the advice hun

i havent opened my express machine yet so thats why i didnt no about the leftlet in there but ill be sure to go and have a look later today image

thanks for writeing back its good to get help image

best wishes x x x x
  • Options
    ahh dont worry i had loads of questions to but it all fits into place when you get going!

My routine at the moment is feed lo at 7am then express what is left normally about 2oz (my boobs are HUGE first thing!) then i express again at 9am feed little one at 11am express at 1pm feed lo at 3pm etc so basically emptying boobs every 2hours if poss and keep it in the fridge. this way i mange to get 9oz so hubby can do the last feed at night - (so we know she has a full tummy) and freeze some as well

only doing this because trying to build up a 'stock' for when we go out for babysitters or if i was to get ill or whatever and going ok at mo.

I also brought storage bags off internet they dont take up so much room in freezer

well done for being so organised and deciding to bf it really is the most special feeling ever knowing you ae doing the very best for your baby - i love it although it can be tough at the start just keep going!
    my lo is 9 weeks old and can empty both boobs in 10 mins!!!!

good luck with rest of your pregnancy! xxx
  • Options
    mummy thomas u r so organised i wanna be like that how many bottles do u have-sorry if a weird question

im bf too but still learning do u know when u swap teats my son is 7wks and still on slow teats??
  • Options
    my lo is 14 weeks n still has slow flow teats if she has a bottle of ebm xx
  • Options
    Hi I have expressed and given all 3 of mine ebm and am pretty sure that the latest info is that you can store ebm in the back of the fridge for up to 7 days. I have had to top my 3 up with ebm from early on due to slow weight gain but then carried on expressing milk and gave my babies some of it and the milk bank the rest. They rigourously test the milk and have never told me there has been a problem with it (they said they would if there was!).
    You can also freeze the ebm for up to 6 months in a deep freeze although mine is in a normal upright freezer and my lo is having ebm from March at the moment and is fine with it!!
    I also spoke to an experienced breastfeeding counsellor when this lo was newborn who said you can keep newly expressed milk at normal room temperature all day before storing it in the fridge which I also did apart from on really hot days when I was scared it would go off!!
    Anyway, I hope that helps and just be reassured that my babies have all been fine! x