Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

aaaaaaahhhhhh

also in baby

Im still moaning about the bottles thing I am so lost image spoke to the hv on monday who told me to get oh to try and get reece to take the bottle, she said if hes hungry enough he'll take it. he didn't properly try until Thursday and its awful, reece just gets himself in a massive state and ends up crying sore, i cant do that to him, its a hard cry, its awful as soon as i lift him and put him on he just sucks away and rubs my hair with his wee handimage

I've had trouble expressing so thought it was may be formula so last night and this morning managed to get enough out to fill the teat of the bottle (I know ffs) and rubs the teat on the milk too, still no joy, he wont take it image

I've tried avent, ttctn, some breastflow brand and am currently waiting on my mam bottles from mothercare (hopefully Tues, with bank holiday). I just dont know what to do, am i supposed to starve him and just hope he twigs on what to do, im so scared i'll give him a fear of bottles and anything going into his mouth and that it will affect him when he is being weaned later on down the lineimage

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Options
    DOnt have a lot of advice but just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this. Ive got similar probs with my LO. If i express and try and give him a bottle he gets really upset. He was fine when he was small and has got worse and worse.

Ive swapped bottles and it helped for a few feeds then i was back to square one. I've upped the teat flow now and that has def helped, He does fuss and cry and what i have to do is push the teat in the way to create a moat round the teat, and it makes the teat shorter. As soon as i do this, he manages to latch on and he sucks away. The faster flow teat has helped as once we get him going, he takes more.

My mum said i refused a bottle and she never bothered, after i was 6 months, she moved me onto a cup, which i took fine. Dont give up hope!!

Hugs

Gemm x
  • Options
    gemm i think you replied to a post i put up the other week as I tried that we moat thing this morning lol and just went on to read your post. Had some success today he did take a few sucks which is the best so far and he did let the bottle be in his mouth for a while which was a bonus and i took it away befor he got annoyed so rather than once a day I'm going to make up 2oz at every feed so that he gets more used to it and I hope and pray that this will eventually work - ah the things us mums have to do image

thanks again for your advice x
  • Options
    I hope it gets easier. I need to keep at it, but to be honest, i can never be bothered with the hastle. I don't have time to sit for longer at feed times, so i just end up feeding him myself. I am going to have to do something soon tho, im out for the afternoon in a couple of weeks and am going to have to leave him with his dad! I should only be out for 1 feed so hopefully he will be ok.

I don't know whats hit me coz my other 2 kids were both fine!! They are just wee monkeys

Gemm x
  • Options
    you could try using a cup to feed (like a doidy cup) as even premature babies can use these to feed. it takes them a little while to get used to but could be worth trying image xxx