Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Drug to Increase milk supply...

Hi everyone! A friend of mine was advised to take a drug called perinorm to increase her milk supply... Does anyone know anything about this drug?

[Modified by: SRM on 12 July 2008 20:56:12 ]

Replies

• If I'm correct Perinorm is an anti emetic drug, or in other words and anti sickness/nausea medication. It's generic name is Metoclopromide Hydrochloride. One of it's main side effects is increasing your prolactin levels which in turn can increase lactation. We used to use it for mothers of pre term babies in our hospital unit (i am a midwife!) who were having problems with their milk supply. We have, however, stopped using it now and use something called Domperidone instead. It is the same type of drug (anti emetic) but has less side effects and is supposed to be better if using long term. I myself used Domperidone and found it REALLY helpful and think it was possibly one of the main reasons i am still BF now at 9mnths (although i am longer taking any medication). Hope that helps x x
  • Hi I have been slow to get a good milk supply with all 3 of mine and their weight gain was very slow so I asked for Domperidone this time and it was a real struggle to get my GP to prescribe it. However, you can actually get it across the counter so if you have any problems with your GP you can say that you will just have to pay for it yourself which is a shame as you get free prescriptions!
    I didn't end up needing it because I used homeopathic remedies and lots of expressing to build up my supply from the start but it was good to have just in case x