Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Going back to BF'ing when lo is ill? UPDATE

My ds is 6.5 months. He has only been having 1 bf (morning) a day for the last 2 weeks since weaning himself off the daytime ones. He has had a bottle at 6pm since 4 months and decided he would rather have a bottle during the day much to my disappointment.

He is poorly at the moment with a gastro bug and has been refusing his bottles today (he will drink water though) Last night the only way he would settle was to 'feed' lying down in bed with me. He would occasionally stimulate a letdown but mostly just for comfort. Today he has kept pulling at my top and head butting my chest when he wanted a bit of bf so i offered but not sure he's getting much.

Anybody who is/has mixed fed had a similar issue? Will my milk come back? Anything i can do to help it as i think he will drink more from me.

Thanks x

UPDATE:

Well he was unwell for a week and spent many nights in bed with me feeding on and off. I had lots of milk so I needn't have worried. It just shows how amazing your body is. He was far less sick and less nasty nappies when have breastmilk so I really felt like I was helping him. Once he started to get better he wanted his bottles again and is now back to normal feeding pattern (BF in morning and bottles rest of day) Oh actually the bug helped us get off 'bottles' too as he is now using a trainer cup for milk feeds!!!

Just to reassure anyone who may be in a similar situation at some point! xxx

[Modified by: katstar on 02 February 2010 11:37:25 ]

Replies

• Hi! For a while I only fed morning and night but I would occasionally find myself out and about without a drink for him and would give him an extra feed no problems. Your milk is quite good at adjusting and even tho there might not be as much there coz you don't usually feed as much, if your LO does this for a few days you will notice your supply increasing. If your LO is ill its best to give them fluids any way they will so they don't get dehydrated so if your LO wants more feeds I'd let them!
  • if you google "tiger milk" that may help (a friend who gave up then changed her mind was advised to drink it, it's like brewers yeast, b vits and bananas with milk I think, but that's a vague memory. I know you haven't stopped completely so not same situation but may help. Also eat and drink lots.
    Hope little man's better soon x
  • i'm not mixed feeding but its quite normal when they are unwell just to want breastmilk as its the easiest thing for them to digest, plus lots of comfort! if baby is suckling a lot then you should start to produce more milk within a couple of days. If not a nursing supplementer might help if you feel he isn't getting enough milk but he is refusing a bottle. Medela sell them and there is a good video on the jack newman website on how to use it. Its basically a bag you fill with milk (formula or expressed) with a small tube that you put into babys mouth whilst they are breastfeeding so he is getting enough milk but its also stimulating your breast to produce more, so you should only need to use it for a short amount of time, but i would just see how it goes for a couple of days of letting him nurse whenever he wants image xxx
  • Thanks ladies!

I've definitely noticed that he is less sick etc when he BF than when he has the water or formula. He spent most of last night sleeping on the boob and i can already feel them filling up so hopefully there will be more for him tomorrow. If not i'll order a supplementer as probably handy to have one anyway. It will be just my luck that he'll be back to normal tomorrow and will want the bottle again and i'll be full of milk!