Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

How many feeds at eight months?

Hi ladies,

My lo is just over eight months and currently on three solid meals and four breast feeds a day.

Should I be looking to drop one of these feeds? Her current routine is:

7.30ish - bf
8.30ish - breakfast
10.30ish - bf
midday - lunch
2.30ish - bf
5pm - dinner
6.30ish - bf

Should it be this 10.30am feed I should be looking to drop? She is not always really hungry for lunch so this may help, although I do worry about her not getting enough milk.

btw, she wakes up anything from once to three times in the night and I feed her back to sleep (hasn't once slept through!). Any tips on solving this would also be very much appreciated. I'm ready to let her cry it out but not sure oh is!

Thanks x

Replies

• what time does she go to bed? i used to give my LO some supper before he went to bed (babyrice etc) and he maybe woke up once in the night a few nights after that until i got it right to how much he needed to sleep through

hope this helps

MummyD

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/mwCwp1.png

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/xksGp1.png

• i would drop the 10.30am feed only as i have done this for 2 babies now this latest is only 6mths old and he is happy with a milky type snack is yoghurt or fruit custard thing. She in theory should feed more on afternoon milk then settle for night. Not sure about night as we seem to get through it with one or no top ups but maybe try and shorten the feed or give water first. I have tried most things and find they just do what they want until they are happy! Maybe the 10.30 feed though
  • 10.30 feed sounds like a start, Connor was on 3 a day at 8 months I think
    He has also never slept through waking 2-3 times for milk. We started giving him porridge for supper about 2 hours after tea and now he has 1 half hearted (habit i think) feed in the night
    Gill
    xxxx
  • hey, my baby is 6 and a half months and just recently started sleeping through the night. i had a similar routine to yours, but then i put my feeds and meals together, so for example:
    6.30 - 7ish - early morning bf
    8.30-9ish - breakfast and bf
    12.30-1 ish - lunch and bf
    4.30-5ish - tea and bf
    7.30-8ish - bf
    so he's still getting 5 feeds a day, but 3 are together with food, and i offer cooled boiled water with the meal, bf after, so it works better for me in geting out and about easily.

just an idea as everyone does it differently, and every baby is different.

good luck xxx