Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Breastfeeding and alcohol

Morning ladies,

Just a quick question. I am breastfeeding my 4 week old little boy. We are off to a BBQ tomorrow and i would quite like to have a glass or two of wine. Do you think that would be ok or would it have a huge effect on my little one as he is so young? I have expressed before but he wasn't overly keen on taking a bottle so i would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks

Nikki
xx

Replies

• Alcohol does go into breastmilk and can affect the baby. According to my bf book it can mean that they sleep for shorter periods of time, can be irritable and may take less milk because they can smell the alcohol on mummy and the milk tastes different.

That said, a little bit theoretically shouldn't do any harm. Apparently, the alcohol in milk peaks about 30 - 60 minutes after drinking so if he's predicable in feeding you may be able to time it right.

I had a small bottle of very weak beer when Sophie was about 4 weeks old and I don't know if it was coincidence or as a direct result of the beer, but she was really really unsettled that night so I have pretty much avoided drinking since. I did have a glass of wine a few weeks ago and that didn't seem to have any effect, but is perhaps because she's a lot bigger now.

If you do decide to have a glass of wine the advice is to have plenty of soft drinks and water and to make sure that you don't drink enough to make you tipsy.

Hope that helps a bit!

Emily & Sophie (16 + 4)
  • You should be ok having a glass or 2, the best thing to do, and I know it sounds weird, is feed whilst you're drinking. It takes 3-4 hours for the alcohol to leave your body, so if you time it right, your ds won't get a feed with any alcohol in your milk.

This link has some useful info http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Alcohol_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

the breastfeeding network is a really useful website so bookmark it xxx
  • Thanks girls. I have saved that link in my favourties Tequila.

I decided in the end to express some milk and think i probably have enough for one feed while we are out if i feed him just before we go. Then hopefully by the time we get home i should be ok to feed again. He took the bottle ok last time but i don't think he was overly keen and neither was i but thinking about it i would prefer to do that than have him feeding while i have alcohol in my system. Thanks for the advice. x