Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First time mum in November - need some advice on BF

Hi Girls

I was wondering if any of you have some advice about BF for me, I am starting to panic incase I dont know when he is full or if he is still hungry or when to stop!! Im also nervous about being out and about and BF

Any advice is welcomed!!

Thank you

Lynsey xx
34+2

Replies

• Hi,
    try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, i know!
    When your baby is full, he'll pull away and stop feeding. If he's still hungry you'll know about it, as will all your neighbours! It's easy to feel like maybe they're not getting enough - it's not like you can see how much they're drinking, but you'll know by the steady weight gain, and the look of your baby that it's getting plenty. And as i say, if they are still hungry, they'll scream until they get more!
    Try not to worry about being out in public either. It's legal up here in Scotland so no one can say anything to you. Though i've found that no one really looks at you when you're feeding anyway. By the time you feel like getting out and about, you'll have had a fair bit of practice at feeding and be able to do it quite discreetly.
    Best of luck,
    xx
  • Hi I am a first time mum the first 48 hours breastfeeding were hard for me because he was not latched on properly and my milk had not come in yet but he was getting colostum and when latched on properly he was fine it was day 3 that i managed to get him to latch on i did not realise it was going to be something i would have to learn he had to learn as much as i did as long as he is attached well you are sleeping well and eating enough he is having wet nappies then he is getting enough he will pull away when full and be fractios when he has not had enough as far as bf in public goes after birth i was not shy at all and now i am more discreet whether in public or the house i have a sheet draped on top of us when he is feeding also you can buy bf tents if you are shy about doing it in public hope this helped. image Jen stay in touch. x
  • At first take each day as it comes! The NCT are brilliant they really helped me when I had sore nipples and even sent me usefull leaflets and contact details of a local bf group!!
    Many shopping centres and Mothercare storess have feeding areas in the baby change which I used untl I felt confident enough! Most people though if they notice you at all just think your cuddling in my experiance!
    Good luck xxx
  • Hi

My advice is to ask loads of questions whilst you are in hospital. My hospital are happy to let you stay until you feel bf is established. I know that when you are there all you will want to do is go home but i found it really helpful having people to check that lo was latching well and im sure thats why i have had only a few problems bf.

As for going out i found that once i had given birth my inhibitions (sp) had lessened and all i really cared about was feeding lo. I agree with others tho, take each day as it comes xxDBxx