Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ok need lots of help please from everyone!

Hi my daughter has very bad ezcema which has appeared since i stopped breastfeeding. HV agrees its probably to do with her formula milk. Now its been 8 weeks since i stopped bf her but so far my choices are to either give her soya milk or try and re-establish bf! i really dont want to give her soya milk as its got no nutrience in it and bf was fine (although I was up every 2 hours all day and night!) but this is a small price to pay for my daughter to not be so sore with bad skin!!
so has anyone managed to do this. any help would be so greatfully recieved!!

Replies

• Hi wannababy

Sorry to hear Lizzie has bad ezcema.

I haven't personally stopped and restarted BF'ing but my HV did mention that it is possible and having a special diet can help get your milk going again. She didn't say exactly what it involved but did mention the word 'sugary'. Might be worth asking your HV about this.

Good luck and I realy hope it works out for you and Lizzie.

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

• Thank you so much. Lizzies hv is lovely but the last one i seen was not so good so I am going to try and pump every hour from tomorrow (had little go a min ago and i have some form of milk there but very tiny amount!) and I have ordered some Fenugreek capsules as these are meant to help with supply. I have only told my best friend and hubby as I dont want all my friends asking me about it and questionning why but my hubby and best friend are so supportive just like you girls!!
  • Just wanted to say that you ought to try to get your LO on the breast. I know there won't be enough to satisfy so do it as a comforter, rather than when she's hungry. It is really supposed to help get the milk flowing. Wishing you lots of luck x
  • No actual experience as I'm still ex BFing at 5.5 months, but I think diet - lots of water and I had asparagus and woke up in a pool of milk so think its a good one for milk production. Also latching baby on alot should help as its the sucking that makes the milk keep on coming and engages the let down reflex.

Fenugreek as you've mentioned and a good multi vit should also help, Theres lots of these convo's on other sites such as netmums. def worth a google.

Do you have BF counsellors available to you or you could contact your local la leche group

http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/groups/groups.htm

Good Luck let us know how you get on.
    xxxxxx
  • Hi Wannababy,

I don't post much, but am a lurker on the site between Baby, Born in Jan10 and Breastfeeding. I'm in a slightly similar situation as I am about to attempt relactation too. It's been about 6/7 weeks since I last breastfed and have felt for a little while that I missed it.

I have tried to do as much research as possible and have today decided to give it a go. Baby is 9 weeks old and I've read that ideally they need to be under 3months. I'm also taking Fenugreek capsules as this is meant to help. I've also ordered the Medela Swing electric breast pump and Medela Supplemental Nursing System. I did use my manual pump earlier to see what would happen and was quite surprised (and excited!) to get a drop out of each breast!!!

I'm going to try and get baby on as much as possible (just as comfort and to encourage milk production) tomorrow and pump at regular intervals until the electric pump arrives. I hope to use it with the nursing system so baby gets used to being back at the breast and also encouraging more milk to produce.

I've not tried it and I'm not recommending it, but I have also read the Motilium (domperidone) tablets have a lactation side effect. (They're an anti sickness medicine that can be bought over the counter). I must stress that I am NOT recommending this, I'm just passing on what I have read about relactation.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I'm quite excited to find someone who is thinking about going down the same route. If you want, I am willing to be a 'Relactation Buddy' to help get each other through. I haven't told anyone either!

Let me know what you think, but good luck anyway! x
  • i did manage to latch lo on with no problem lsast night image and also got a drop out of each breast using pump this morning. i have decided to wait until i have spoken to gp about it and that way i can hopefully get some professional support too.
    thanks so much for replies x
  • I have also heard that Milk thistle supplements are supposed to be good for promoting production of milk I haven't tried it myself but thought it might be something else you can ask about.
  • i have used milk thistle and fenugreek to boost my milk production and i by far find the milk thistle the best.
  • I do believe that there is a GP prescribed medication that can be taken to start lactation (often given to those adopting a baby / surogacy) might be worth talking to your GP if frequent latching and expressing to then increase supply don't work. It may also be worth considering that if it is a dairy allergy (as formula's are made from cows milk) that you may also need to avoid dairy too once going back to formula to avoid a reaction too. Have you tried other formula milks to see if it is a particular one which is causing the problem?

• Hi Lizzies poor skin is getting worse even with the creams image I am off to see the nurse tomorrow so I am goiing to have a chat with her. I dont eat harly any dairy products myslef (maybe 1 yougurt a day, if that) I was told that the different milks wont make any difference as its an intollence to whats in the milks. Anyway I have spoken to my mum about it today and she is supporting me so hopefully I will start tablets 2morrow afternoon and then hopefully Lizzies skin will be better once I have my supply up and shes off the formula x
    Flutterby1982- How are you doing with it?
  • hiya, maybe worth googling "tiger milk" - from memory it's a mix of full fat milk, bananas, brewers yeast and b vitamins, which the mum drinks to help re-establish milk supply. good luck x