Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

itchy nipples?

hey girls

my lo is 5 months today and over the last week or so one of my nipples has been really itchy. anyone else suffering? is this normal? i'm wondering if it's the breast pads!!

R xx

Replies

• Hi i had this for a while when i was breast feeding my ds. I found some breast pads made it worse. It got quite sore so went to the doctors who prescribed me canesten cream just in case it was thrush or he said it could just be eczema.
    I found lansinoh cream helped a bit. Think it went on its own in the end though.
  • Itchy nipples is one of the symptoms of thrush, which makes BFing agony if it gets into your ducts (I have it at the moment!!). Check to see if your LO has any white patches on his tongue - if so, or if you get any other symptoms such as pain between feeds, get to your GP ASAP for treatment before it gets worse. Hopefully it won't be though!!
  • I agree it could be thrush - are your nipples pink and shiny looking? Thats another clue for thrush.
  • thanks girls. no sign of thrush on lo. it's not painful in the slightest, just itchy! i wonder if it's just the breast pads, esp when they get sweaty (nice image huh!) x
  • thanks girls. no sign of thrush on lo. it's not painful in the slightest, just itchy! i wonder if it's just the breast pads, esp when they get sweaty (nice image huh!) x