Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

LO not feeding much.

I am feeding LO on demand with one breast (due to abcess and lo refusing to take other breast), and for the last few days I find my lo now going longer between feeds, sometimes over 4 hours before having a good feed which I find very unusual.

When she is a bit grizzly before this time, I put her to the breast and she will take 5 minutes and then bob on and off and keep turning her head to look at me and smile, but doesn't really take anything more. She seems very contented otherwise, but can't help worrying if she is having enough to eat or putting on enough weight cos she is going so long between feeds. She does have wet nappies but don't know how it compares with before.

During the night, she has even started going to bed earlier, 8pm as opposed 10pm and sleeping till 3am (instead of 4/5am) and does have a good feed then).

She has had a snuffly cold but it only seems noticeable at night feeds. She seems to breathe okay during the day.

I know I shouldn't complain but I hope she is gaining weight okay.

Susan

Replies

• how old is your LO? its probably that she is just a bit bigger and can take more at each feed now so is able to go longer. if she is contented the i would thionk that all is fine, she would soon let you know if she was hungry.

take her to get weighed as soon as you can to put your mind at rest but i wouldnt be concerned she sounds fine. xx
  • This happened when my lo had a cold the other week. He was the same-fussing and going longer between feeds even though he was only snuffly at night. His weight gain pretty much stopped for 2 weeks-he was taking enough to not loose weight though.

Try not to worry, just keep trying and give it a few days until the cold clears up then see how you go from there xx