Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding in public!!UPDATED

Hi girlies,
I haven't ventured out yet... And if I've gone to the
shops I've always planned it between feeds!
So... I'm getting to the stage where I'm guna need
to go out for longer and feed Poppy in public!

What does everyone do? Do shops have private
facilities? Or do u just feed anywhere!? What about in
restaurants etc?

And clothing wise? What can I get that's discreet
and easy to access!?- coz at the moment I wearing
normal clothes which I have to lift up revealing
my tummy etc which isn't suitable outside!
Likewise- some of my button tops don't come
down far enough! image

HELP!!!

//////////////////:////://::::////////////////
UPDATE:

Thankyou everyone for all your replys!!!
I have brought 4 BF tops from H&M-they are
great! And you will be proud I have fed twice in
public now.. I have a shawl that I put over me..
But it's quite differcult to latch her on..as I can't
really see her!
With the H&M tops do you hold your baby up
to you before you move your top to reveal ur
nipple?so no one can see? I've not quite mastered
the method yet!
I have found that it's Men who are most concerned
with Breastfeeding.. Yesterday Hubby and Gramps
got quite agitated (he he!) and kept pulling at
my shawl..to cover any slight bit of skin showing
even my arm... You would think that I had massive
boobys and that IF any man saw them..he would
instantly want to "runaway" with me...the way hubby
was on "look out"... Which is funny..it's really
not the case!

Be interested if anyone can give me any
advice on the H&M tops and how u latch baba
on? Does your nipple show at any point? Coz maybe
that's where I'm going wrong..trying to hide
it too much! ?? Not that it bothers me..just others!

[Modified by: Sillysausage101 on 21 June 2010 08:32:03 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi most big department stores have rooms you can feed your baby in like debenhams m&s mothercare etc if you didn't want to just feed any where,mothercare & pumpkin patch do bf tops,
    I used to take a blanket out with me & drape it over me & dd when i was out so people couldn't really see anything xoxo
  • Options
    i always wear 2 tops avest top comes up and i pull the other top/shirst down so you end up with just a bit coming out which baby covers anyway
  • Options
    Not sure where you live, but big department stores like John Lewis and malls like Westfield have feeding rooms. You can also use a JojoMamanBebe changing room if there is one near you.

In the first few months I never bothered with feeding rooms, and just went to cafes instead, especially ones with sofas. Either use feeding tops (you can buy them fairly cheaply from H&M) or wear a vest under whatever you're wearing which you can pull down and still cover your belly. There are nursing covers you can wear, but I found it more discreet using a pashmina or shawl - I'm sure most people didn't have a clue I was feeding.

Good luck - once you're confident feeding in public it makes life so much easier! xx
  • Options
    I've only fed in public once so far (and that was lying down hiding behind a tree in the park!) but used a pashmina to cover up. I felt self concious though so it is going to take some practice. However, Sophie will take expressed milk from a bottle so I have done that as well which was much easier (although then felt that people would think I was feeding her formula!).
  • Options
    iused bf tops and baby muslins. i hated the thought of someone seeing my belly so found bf tops more comfortable as they hid everything. practice in the house, ask oh or friend can they see anything you don;t want people to see.
    love fi
  • Options
    I used bf tops and vests to keep my jelly belly covered. I have now started using a nursing apron because lo is such a nosey girl! It makes bf so easy and I don't have to worry about people seeing belly or boobs!
    The first time is always the biggest hurdle, but I promise it becomes so easy.

Cat xxx
  • Options
    I feed any where but i do think these look really good. http://www.pashminamama.co.uk/
  • Options
    I use a vest under a normal top and pull up the top and down the vest image works a treat and i can just wear my normal clothes. The material from the top usually covers my boob so no-one can see anything. After a few weeks of doing this i found i became a little less self-conscious and honestly didnt care if anyone saw anything - they shouldnt be looking! I practiced in front of close family before i did it out and about. Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy - and you get quicker!

Keep an eye out for larger boots or mothercare stores - they usually have a baby room. Some large shopping centres have a nursing room in their baby change. When i felt a bit more self-conscious i used these or sat in a chair in a restaurant or cafe with my back toward most people facing a wall or something, meant not many people would see what i was doing. Although most were oblivious!

Good luck and try to remember that not many people will even notice. And even if they do, you are just feeding your baby, which is something to be proud of image

Lx
  • Options
    I second the H&M tops, only a tenner, v. flattering and don't look like obvious nursing tops. I first fed in public in Starbucks with another friend who was breastfeeding - there is def. safety in numbers so that would be my top tip for your first time if poss. Or you could try a mother and baby group or baby class like yoga or massage? Or try a quiet park bench or corner of a cafe with hubby or a friend facing you and maybe the pram to one side and no-one will be able to see anything. Then you can gradually build up your confidence.

I'm 4 months in and I've fed in loads of places now, including standing in the check-in queue at Faro airport with baby in a sling!
    Once you've done it a couple of times and realised that no-one's looking you'll be absolutely fine. My NCT friends and I go to a garden centre cafe every Thursday after baby swimming where there are loads of old people and I was half convinced one of them would say something about us feeding but they're all just really sweet and come up to us to chat about the babies, even the men!

Have to say that personally I'm not keen on the breastfeeding aprons etc because while they stop anyone seeing anything while you're latching on, they make it blatantly obvious that you are feeding where as if you just have a nursing top on or vest / top combo then it looks like you're just having a cuddle. But some of my friends like them.

I've fed in a baby room but it was a bit clinical, OK at first but the sooner you get out into public for 'real' the better in my opinion!

Have fun and as ladybird says be proud!

xxxxx
  • Options
    Hi

I have a Bebe Au Lait nursing cover and I absolutely love it. I don't have to worry about wearing BF tops - I can just wear whatever I like, which is great. I got a black one which doubles as a blackout draped over the pram, and also ensures that my LO can't see anything while feeding which is great as these days he gets distracted really easily and feeds can take ages!

I usually do the couch in a cafe thing rather than feeding rooms - you feel awkward the first couple of times but then it becomes second nature.

I think it was in Libby Purves's book that I read the motto "Don't flaunt it, don't hide it, just do it"!

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and don't worry, people generally don't care these days - and those that do aren't likely to be people you care about!

C image
  • Options
    if i was you. i'd go somewhere like a supermarket cafe with a friend or your mum or something and sit facing away from others and have a practice. so you will have someone to talk to for the first time. Then you can try a different place next time until you feel comfy doing it on your own. I can honestly say i've fed everywhere and people do look sometimes but normally they smile or say "ahh". i am still bf my 18 month old and if i see a mummy bf in public i do look and think "ah, how cute", which im sure most people do. it's a confidence thing and i'm sure you will get there with a little practice!
  • Options
    I was too nervous to really try it last time but I;m determined to master it this time (baby2 due next week).

But, M&S, Debenhams, Mothercare John Lewis and Boots (but you have to ask I think) all have feeding rooms - the shopping centre in my local town is good too, big curtained cubicles (which fit the pram in) in the baby changing rooms, with toys for the older child to play with too. I second the recommendation for H&M nursing tops too, and I'd steer clear of Mothercare ones, too many layers to get in the way. I used normal tops a lot and lifted them up too - not tried it yet but I've been recommended bump bands that you use during pregnancy for covering your tummy (New Look are good value). When I did feed in public, I just avoided eye contact with anyone while latching him on - my thinking was 'pretend they're not there and they can't see me lol.

I did use expressed milk a lot while we were out, and sometimes fed in the car - but I've got a toddler now so can't be hiding away every feeding time. But it is very liberating once you master leaving the house without working around feeds!
  • Options
    i think my whole town has probably seen my boobs! i was so worried and embarrassed at first but after a while you just do it! its usually more embarrassing when your baby is screaming with hunger and draws attention to you so try and catch them before they start to really cry! i have fed everywhere! back of cars, on a train, thorntons coffee shop, in a restaurant window (lol)

i did the "boob hole" technique. vest top pulled under the boob to cover my belly and lift the top up. it becomes 2nd nature i promise!

if anyone give you any negative comments (which i never have) GIVE THEM THE FINGER! image
  • Options
    I feed literally everywhere!!! At the beginning I had a practice run infront of the mirror and realised that my boobs were completely hidden by babys head. Sometimes people come over to pat babys head when he's feeding as they think he's just having a nap. I'd try to get a position and clothes combo that you feel comfortable with and just get on with it so you don't build it up into a big thing. When people have noticed I'm breastfeeding it always makes people smile, there is nothing more beautiful than a mother feeding her baby even if it is on a park bench, in the tax office, in b&q on a pallet by the sheds, in a field, on a train...the list goes on.
  • Options
    I in b&q on a pallet by the sheds

now thats one i havent heard before!! LOL:lol:
  • Options
    I've fed my kiddies all over the place lol.

I was never particularly bothered what people thought, just used a shawl to keep covered, but mainly to stop them being nosey.

I think it's lovely seeing women bfing their children in public, such a natural thing and if anyone gets upset at the sight of it that's their problem!
  • Options
    Cyber high five!!!
    Well done, it really will get easier each time you do. Your hubby will also become more comfortable with it too. Mine was a nightmare at the start, but now is very proud of me 'doing it' in public! We were going to a restaurent recently and I said I would feed lo in the car first but he said 'no feed her in the restaurant I'm hungry!' Charming!
    Regards to the vests, I think my nipple is on show for maybe a second before lo is latched on, even then her head is in the way so I really dont think anyone can see.

Cat xxx
  • Options
    Good for you, you must be proud of yourself!!! It takes a while to get confident at it.

What i do is unfasten my bra hooks and pull the front down, under my clothes, then lie baby over as if he is already feeding. If im feeding with the left breast i hold him in my left arm with his head resting on my arm which means my side is covered, then i pull up my top with the right arm and just keep pulling till he gets my nipple. No one can see anything unless they are standing about me looking down the same as me. I just keep my top right on babys face till he has a good latch then its fine.

Gemm x
  • Options
    Thanks mummy Cat and Gemm,
    and Gemm that's great how uve described it
    in such detail!
    I tried it again yesterday without the shawl
    and though I got alittle mudded it wasn't too
    bad and tried to do it like u said!

*** one last thing ***
    how do u stop it dribbling down your top?
    When LO is feeding sometimes some milk
    comes out?! X
  • Options
    Glad it's going well for you now - I used to carry a couple of soft bibs in my son's changing bag as he went through a very dribbly stage! You can put the bib in and kind of tuck it under to catch dribbles image The end of a muslin tucked under to protect your top works well too.

He's 9 months old now and not too dribbly - only if he sees something exciting like his Daddy coming into the room and lets go hehe!