Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Struggling with breastfeeding at 6 weeks - need advice

I have been breastfeeding my lo with no problems and he is really thriving, but last week he started with a nasty cough and has been having difficulty feeding as he keeps coughing up phem/mucus so he only feeds for a couple of minutes at a time. On Tuesday I noticed that one of my breasts is not filling up although I always alternate sides, the other side fills up and feels hard when he is due a feed but no matter what I try, the problem breast is always soft.
Now it seems that he is never fully satisfied after a feed and when I do feed him, I can't seem to hear him swallowing. I have come to the point where I feel like he would benefit more from formula milk but I love breastfeeding and didn't have any intention of quitting. I feel like a failure and don't know whether my milk has dried up (if that can happen?) or whether my routine has been thrown out due to his cough.
I've been expressing and he seems to guzzle it like he is starving but when I feed him myself, he suckles for a few mintues and then sleeps, then wakes up hungry after about half an hour.
I really feel like I'm going in circles and need some advice.
Has anyone got any suggestions or been through the same thing? I don't want to stop breastfeeding and I don't want to give up.
Thanks

Replies

• hey babe don't worry my right breast never feels like there is any mlk in it but there obviously is !!
    have you tried making sure his nose is free of snot before feeding ? while he is feeding if he is slowing and starting to fall asleep rub the palm of his hand like you are doing "round and round the garden" rhyme as this stimultes them to stay away i also used to take abby off and wind her after a few min to let my let down establish after her mad sucking as it was slow and she got fed up waiting so i was basically distracting her till the milk was there and easy for her to get
    your baby is also at the growth spurt time so it will feel like you don't have enough but in a day or so you will be complaining about engorgement lol
    hope i have helped you doing really well
    fea x
  • i really wouldnt worry, your little one is just going through the 6 week growth spurt, it seems the most common time for mums to stop bf because they are convinced they dont have enough milk or its drying up. just let l/o feed frequently for a little while and your milk supply will catch up, if you give formular now you will struggle to catch up and not meet babies needs, so its worth sticking it out. we have all been there and know its a tricky time especially with a cold as well but you will get back in to your routine when you catch up with your babies demands.

good luck and stick with it.

sian x
  • Dont worry there will be plently there but if you are worried you could always try and express off that breast after he has fed to try and improve the amount you are producing. Neither of my breast ever feel hard even first thing in the morning but my lo is always satisfied its just your body getting used to producing how much your lo needs and when he starts feeding more you will produce more. I agree it would be a bad idea to introduce formula as your body only produces how much your lo demands and if he is having formula will be demanding less breat milk. Formula is heavier than breast milk so stretches the stomach and then it will be hearder for you to p;ease your lo with your breast milk just persevere with the breast feeding your doing a great job x
  • Hi hun, just to let you know my breasts are the same, my right breast is always more full than my left. I also alternate each feed and it never seems to make much difference. Think its cos come evening time she tends to feed from my right more so it obviously fills up more cos she tends to feed longest then. (ive been breastfeeding now for 5 months) try stick with it if you can, like the others said it will more liekly be a growth spurt. As for him falling asleep if you feed him he probably feels content at the breast.
    Caz x x