Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Expressed feed - how much?

I started expressing last week so DH could start doing one feed a day. I usually express first thing in the morning, if I don't get that much, I will sometimes express again later in the day so I always have 4oz in the bottle for the feed.

DH usually gives her the bottle either around the 10/11pm mark or over the weekend in the middle of the night feed, whenever that is! However, even after taking 4oz, she always seems to want to feed again from me quite shortly afterwards. I did think this might be comfort feeding, but she'll take both breasts for a good 20 mins each.

Any thoughts? I would have thought 4oz was a good amount, the bottle only fits 5oz! She is one month old today.

Replies

• My formula box reccomends 4-5oz for a 4 week old (though weight can have an impact), so logic would suggest your 4oz of EBM should be enough for her? Are you saying she takes 20mins on each side after the bottle, or 20mins in total? Is she definitely feeding - can you hear her swallow? As it does sound more likely she's enjoying the closeness and comfort sucking on you?xxx
  • Grace is exactly the same. I express 5oz but she very rarely takes the whole lot but I invariably end up giving her a breastfeed within the hour. Its quite frustrating as the reason I'm expresding is so thst she can occasionally be left with a babysitter or even DH but because she always want5s to bf as well I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it. She also seems to get a lot of tummy pain after hert bottle too and will often only calm down with a bf.

In terms of volume I think a good guide is to give half their weight in lbs in oz - i.e a 10lb baby needs 50z of ebm.

xxx

[Modified by: Feebs76 on May 24, 2010 04:44 PM]

• Just wanted to add that BM is easier to digest than formula so babies can often take more, I know mine does. At 4 weeks my LO was taking between 4-5oz a feed, every 2-3 hours xx
  • Thanks all.

Mummyjackson - she is swallowing for part of the feed, but I know she has a tendency at all feeds to stay on a bit longer than she needs to!

Feebs - I'm the same, the whole point is for DH to do the feed and give me a break, very frustrating!

She hasn't be weighed for a couple of weeks, but was 8lbs 2oz then, so I'm guessing that 4oz isn't far off what she should be having for a feed.