Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

TTC while BF- any experiences?

I'm due to start my midwifery course Sept '09 therefore I have 14 months spare before my new career begins. I have 2 children. Evie - 2 1/2 and Kyra - 6 weeks. I would love to have one more child, but I know that once I'm a midwife I won't want to disturb my career and I won't have the chance to have another.

What are the chances of me getting pregnant while bf and having the baby before the course starts in sept 2009? I know this sounds rather optimistic, but I got preg v.easily last 2 times. I haven't had any preg related problems e.g.miscarriage etc. If you think this is at all possible please let me know! Otherwise i'll get the idea out of my mind!!!!

Thanks, xxx

Replies

• Hey hun, you dont say if you have had your cycle return yet? how often do you bf? was you bf when you fell pregnant before?
    Caz x x
  • Hi, i bf my first child for 2 1/2 years in that time i got pg twice unfortunately first ended early (nothing to do with bf) i then got pg after 2 months ttc this was good pg and continued to feed first child all the way through and then tandem fed. As long as you are ov it should be fine. Good luck. x
  • well Caz, I didn't get preg with 2nd while bf. My periods havn't returned yet either. I've got ovulation sticks from before Kyra so I might try using those to get an idea of what's going on.

Kyra feeds throughout the day as she's only 6 weeks. she doesn't have any formula.

How often do you suggest I use them....one a week until af arrive back?
  • really you need to use them everyday as with no AF you wont be able to tell when ovulation will occur. if you just do 1 a week you might miss it. there not cheap either, but i have seen some on ebay which ive heard are quite good and you can get 50 for about ??9 or they even do 100 packs which you can mix/match with pg tests.
    caz x x
  • I got mine from ebay cheap i think it was ??3 or ??4 for 20 including P&P. I only used 2 as the second one revealed I was ovulating and they must be accurate as I got pregnant straight away. I'll start using them now then and see what happens...image
  • Good luck with everything!! fingers crossed for you...
    Caz x x
  • Thank you hun, same for you...*blowing you some babydust* xxx
  • Hey yummymummy, was wondering if you could help!?! i have been thinking of maybe doing a midwifery course, but dont know too much about it. remembered reading your post the other day so though maybe you can advise me....how did you go about getting your position? did you go through a college? i sent for some info from nhs a couple of month back but it wasnt much help, so kinda put it to the back of my mind as i have been busy with lo. i know that the places get filled quite quick so was thinking if i could try get in now, like you i may be able to start sept '09-'10.
    Thanks if you can help if not then no worries too! :\)
    Caz x x
  • Hi Caz,

Well I started off doing a law and politics course in uni, but decided I'm not really into that so wanted to change to midwifery as that's what I always wanted to do.

Basically for my course they wanted at least 6 GCSE's graded A*-C with English, Maths and double Science and 2 A'levels graded A-C (one a science subject). They also prefer you to have been in some kind of education for the past 4 years. If you don't have these then you'll need to do a year's college course which is foundation Midwifery called an 'Access' course which will give you a good chance of getting onto a uni course to become a midwife.

the training is great as it's 50:50 working in the hospital, community and uni. The NHS will pay for your course and childcare and materials, fuel/travel costs etc etc.

Was there anything else you wanted to know??
  • Thanks very much for replying hun, i think i will most definately have to do the 'Access' course, i know its guna take years to do but it something i have been interested in for the past few years, (im currently out of work looking after lo at the moment but i have worked as a carer for past 2-3 years)
    Would it be nhs who i would have to go through and if so how would i do that? will there be a number on website or something like that which i can contact them about it? i did send for some leaflets a while back but like i said before they were not helpfull at all....
    I never knew that they pay for it too so that would be great!?!
    Sorry for all the questions im just so clueless! lol
    Caz x x
  • Well as you've got experience doing care work, you'll have a very good chance getting on the course. Your college will give you all the info and forms etc for funding from the NHS you don't need to contact them. It's usually all done through the uni or college. Once your qualified you normally go straight into a job and the pay starts at at least ??20,000 for the first year then goes up from there so it's not bad to start out with!
    And it's really enjoyable too, I'm really looking forward to mine. As I've got all this spare time I'm currently getting some experience in care work with pregnant women and kids so I'll get an idea of what it's going to be like training.

Good luck with everything...I'm sure you'll do great! :lol:

When are you thinking of applying?
  • Thanks for your help yummymummy, im going to try do it this week, see what they have to say. im hoping i get a place as i have read before its quite hard to get into. i have my nvq2 in care work so hope that might help a bit :\) how long is the course i think i read its about 3 or 4 years?
    Caz x x

• It lasts 3 years and you'll end up with a BA in science for Midwifery. I hve a few friends who did it and said it doesn't seem to last that long as the work is all 50:50 in hospital, community and studying. ?Then you can choose a placement at a different hospital.

If you do the access course will you need to apply through ucas or just ask at the college for an application?
  • im not too sure i tried searching my local colleges about courses on the net but found nothing. couldnt ring noone as it has been weekend. think i might call into jobcentre as they should probably be able to tell me. :\?
    they should know if it has to been done through college or ucas, ill let you know how i get on
    thanks very much for your great advice
    Caz x x
  • Ive just rung the local college up about it and they are sending out an apllication form. yeah im getting somewhere! image im so excited :lol:
    Caz x x
  • Yay! You'll soon be on your way. I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy the course. which is your local college??
  • Hey hun its Dewsbury, where are you going to be doing your course? did you get to choose if you wanted to do it next year or this year?
    Caz x x
  • I'm going to keele uni to do mine. you have the choice once you've got a place to defer a year, which i did as i wanted to spend more time with my new baby and 2 year old. they'll put you down for a place on next year's course. ;\)