Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Silly question??

Hi ladies x I'll apologise now if this is a stupid question, or if it's already been asked before. I'm currently 32wks but bubba is measuring approx 36wks big, I have another scan in 2 wks, if she has continued to grow at the same rate, I will be 34 but she'll be about 38/39 wks preg, I will then be booked in for a CS. I was planning on trying to BF, but will having a CS effect that? Will my milk be ready if i have a CS when I'm only about 34/35 wks preg but she's 38/39 wks big? If they do leave me a bit longer, a week or so, does ur milk come the same way it would if you delivered naturally?? Do you think I'll be able to hold her to BF if my milk is there or will have a CS cause too much pain??? :\? :\?

Sorry for all the questions, this has kinda blown my mind, best laid plans and all that!! xx

Replies

• I had a CS 13 weeks ago and was able to feed my LO straight away, although someone did have to help to hold him in place. That night, the midwifes came and got him up a couple of times, put him to the breast but he wasn't really interested. I had plenty of colostrum and milk afterwards, so I don't think CS will affect that at all. As for being early, I have no experience but again I don't think it'd be an issue. The milk is there, it's just waiting for your bubs to be born. Good luck x
  • i had an emergency c-section at 37 weeks. The hospital were really surportive as i wanted to 100% breastfeed.

i had complications with painreleif after the op and was in recovery for 8 hours in which time i was in no state to hold Noah. i had skin to skin about 9 hrs after birth and he didn't latch on. I was able to express small amounts of colostrum and syringe feed noah tiny amounts. after persistance and a lot of support he latched on after 36 hours. if your baby is early especially around 35 week mark i'm sure when your placenta is removed etc, your body starts producing milk, and when your baby latches on the sucking will help this.

my advice would be to ask for skin to skin straight away, make sure the midwifes on the ward are aware that you want to breastfeed. also our hosp had breastfeeding counsellors and they told me if he hadn't fed within 48 hours she would spend the whole day with me to help me out!!.

hope this helps and good luck image
  • I had an emergency C-section at 42 weeks and the theatre staff were really good, asked if I wanted to breastfeed and lay my son alongside me, he latched on straightaway. I had plenty of colostrum and my milk came in just fine - it is the delivery of the placenta and the sucking that brings your milk on rather than something that happens in natural childbirth so sure you will be fine. I've had no problems at all with my scar and have breastfed him in the normal position since the start. The midwives are great at helping you and encouraging you to breastfeed in most hospitals.
    Good luck!
    xx
  • I had an emergency C-section at 42 weeks and the theatre staff were really good, asked if I wanted to breastfeed and lay my son alongside me, he latched on straightaway. I had plenty of colostrum and my milk came in just fine - it is the delivery of the placenta and the sucking that brings your milk on rather than something that happens in natural childbirth so sure you will be fine. I've had no problems at all with my scar and have breastfed him in the normal position since the start. The midwives are great at helping you and encouraging you to breastfeed in most hospitals.
    Good luck!
    xx
  • Thank you so much, for sharing your experiences and advice xx i feel much more positve abt the thought of a cs now, not being able to bf was my main worry. I will ask for lots of skin to skin contact, and am going to see if there is a local bf group I can attend, i think I'll need it! Thank you xxxx
  • Rainbow i just wanted to let you know i am in the same situation, allow a few weeks ahead of you i was measured at 34 weeks and was measuring 38 weeks and have been told to come back in two weeks well my two weeks is on tuesday. I will let you know how i get on but like you i also want to breastfeed and was starting to worry. I just wish i knew what was happening.
  • Deffo do the bf group. We have one that I first went to with my LO at 4 wks and it was just fantastic. The support we received was brilliant and the whole session was so relaxed and was a social thing too. We're not bfeeding any more but they said to come back any time anyway, lol!! xx
  • Rainbow, I had a planned cs under general anaesthetic at 38 weeks and that was 14 weeks go now. Oliver had no trouble latching on for his first feed about an hour after I came round. He's still exclusively BF and has had no formula despite being a greedy little man.

Also if they are saying that baby is big is that based on fundal height? The people I went to antenatal with nearly all had inaccurate predictions of how big their babies were going to be. Not one had a problem.

Really don't think you have anything to worry about.x