Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

feeding routine.

Hi just looking for a bit of advice as I'm a first time mum.

I have been brestfeeding without problems baby is 9 days old. Then yesteday someone asked me if he's in a routine yet and again today. I haven't got him in a routine yet and the midwife at parenting classes said not to expect a rountine until after 2 weeks. I was wondering how old were your babies when you got them into a rountine? and how to go about it? any advice greatly appricated. xx

Replies

• Options
    hi apple-hjack, take no notice of what others are saying, your baby will settle into a routine when both you and he are ready, 9 days is so young to be in any sort of routine whether breast or bottle fed. The only "routine" Isaac had at that age was that he would always have a bath, then feed then bed at bedtime, it was rarely ever at the same time but I did it mainly because I wanted hime to get used to a sequence of events so he knew what bedtime was about, during the day he had no real routine until well after 4 months, you should do what you feel comfortable doing and go with the flow, take no notice of what anyone else thinks you should be doing. xx
  • Options
    I wasn't in a proper routine til Lucas was 12 weeks so don't listen!!!!
  • Options
    yeah i agree, the only thing i did was demand feed that was our routine. my baby tended to wake for a feed rather than go to sleep with a feed so that was the only little routine we had if you could call it that.

next time someone says have you got a routine yet just ask them if they're joking. lol.
  • Options
    I had Barney in a routine(ish!) by the time he was 4 weeks BUT that was only because I had to fit him around his big sister who was used to things happening at set times. Even now (8 weeks) the routine is pretty flexible, he has a feed at 9.00am before we go out and one at 12.00 before I do Millie's lunch and then his bedtime feed at 7 but the rest of the time I tend to go with the flow more.
    xx
  • Options
    My lo is 6 weeks and only has a bedtime routine too, I find that she'll go longer between feeds if we're out and i'm carrying her in my baby carrier or if she's being pushed in her pram. I couldn't believe how much she slept round bluewater last friday, i had to gently stir her to feed her before the long journey home!