Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Im a new bf mummy and need advice!

My little girl is 6 days old and im breast feeding and i have a question...

She is a really good feeder and can feed up to 45 mins - hour at a time but sometimes she only has 15 - 20 mins then has a nap and wants feeding again do I go for the same boob or change to the other one?

What about when she feeds for 15 mins has a break (maybe change nappy or whatever) she then wants more does she go back on the same one or try the other?

I also get a sharp pain at the beginning but only for a split second then its fine with no pain how long does that go on for?

Thanks!
I love bf!
Laura xxxxx

Replies

• In either of those situations I personally would offer the other boob but there is no right or wrong way really so go with whatever you feel.

The pain you aretalking about sounds like it might be your let down reflex kicking in and for some people the pain feeling diminishes over time and others not - as far as I know but I am no expert!!!

Glad you are enjoying bf - it is a fab experience - I am still feeding my lo and he is 7 months (he was premature and it was HARD to start with but now it is a breeze!!)

Any other questions pop back and ask as we all try to help!
  • I agree with Crftycharli - I would offer the other breast too, though my lo, now 6 months, prefers one side over the other. With regard to the pain, I also think it is the let down reflex...

Good luck! And yeah, it is fun!
  • Congratulations on your baby girl and for bf.

same as the other ladies - off the other breast image
    nd the sharp pain sounds like the let down kicking in.
    It should ease with time, but for some it doesnt. If you find it still bothering you then try a warm flannel/towel of some sort at the top of your breast when you start feeding to encourage it and also soothe you.

xxxx
  • Thank you ladies - it feels much easier today actually so hopefully it will be wearing away!
  • Glad it is still going well!!! And pleased to help!
  • congratulations hun on the birth of ur baby.My lo is 6 weeks old and we too r enjoying bf!I dnt have the sharp pain at beginning of feed anymore so it has worn off for me.I was told that u should try n drain one breast b4 switching to the other so that baby gets the hind milk so if my lo wants feeding again after say 5-10 mins i use the same breast but if its been bit longer i do switch but suppose its whatever u feel best with really.In an evening when she cluster feeds i switch between each breast all evening.I'm no expert tho!this forum really is a lifesaver,i've been on here asking lots of questions already!!lv hanna n baby grace xx
  • I did a variety of sometimes putting baby on the same boob again or switching...but what I was wondering - who 'weighs' their boobs? You know, holding them & thinking one feels heavier so I'll use the heavy one - I used to some times...am I alone? lol! Also, if one boob felt lumpier than the other I would feed from the lumpiest to avoid mastitus!
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• yea me too,sometimes can tell that way that 1 feels fuller than the other!dnt want em lopsided!!
  • Glad that's not just me Frags - I weigh my boobs all the time - funnily enough, it's usually my right one that is heavier! If I have forgotten which one lo finished off on last feed, I do the weigh in to decide which one to offer!x