Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

BF and Dummies

Hi Ladies,

Can I pick your brains. I am 33+3 and planning on BF. I am having the usual worries - will i produce enough milk, what if i cant do it etc but I am concerned over using dummies. I know all the Midwifes say it can interfere with latching on but i want to know it if your experiance this is true. A number have told me it isnt and they didnt have probs because of dummies but i would like a bigger set of opinions .
Really appreciate your advice

nervous BFing ( i desperatley hope) mum to be

Replies

• awww !! im sure youll be fine breastfeeding... good luck though!
    My lo is 13 weeks now and im purely breastfeeding although ive started introducing one formula bottle a day (just so she gets used to bottles a bit more for when i go back to work)
    Morgan had a dummy from when she was about 3 weeks we did hum and har about it ... however if it settles them then i cant see why its a problem.

shes not that fussed though i bough these cherry soother dummies from the tommy tippee website when they suck they go in an out (like a boobie hehe) i only tend to use it if im out over my friends and i know she just wants a suck to go to sleep ..
    so does come in handy ...
    but she never looks for it and has never interfeird with the breastfeeding!!!

good luck with the BF and your labour !!
  • i exclusivly breastfed ciara for 6 weeks and from then on i was mix feeding her (not producing enough milk) so she has boob and bottle. I gave ciara a dummy after a few days because she was always putting her fingers in her mouth and scratching her face...scratch mits were useless.. It didnt interfer with her feeding at all and i read some research that said having a dummy can reduce the risk of cot death? She doesnt have it all the time now, mainly when shes tired, or we are out and about and she is a bit cranky and just wants to suck for comfort. The midwifes warned that it could effect her latching on, and for some babies it might, but it was fine for us.

good luck
  • Max wouldn't take a dummy when he was tiny but at about 13 weeks (ish if i remember right) he took one and it didn't affect us at all. He also had bottles of expressed milk from 7 days onwards when his ng tube was removed, after every feed (he was prem and we needed to ensure he put on weight) and even with the bottle he NEVER got nipple confusion he was fine!
  • Thanks so much that puts my mind at rest. I read the same things about dummies and helping prevent cot death so wasvreally thinking I would use them at night for this reason. I will see how bubba goes with latching on first day or so and then prob make a decision so thanks for your advice it really helps put mind at rest x
  • good luck! let us know how you get on
  • I will no doubt be back with a million more How do i do it questions in the near future lol x
  • My little girl couldn't take a dummy when she was newborn (too big for here, she gagged!) and so i let her suck on my pinky if she wanted to suck but wasn't hungry, and no confusion for her at all!

She accepted the dummy at 4 months old and still no confusion now, at 11 months old - she is breastfed and loves her dummy too.