Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Contraversial but it has to be said!

That's it, I give up being nice so I'm going to be moody! Why is it that bottle feeding mums are allowed to say that the thought of breastfeeding makes them feel physically sick but we can't say that we think breast is better for our baby than formula or that we don't like bottles? I usually pussyfoot round the topics and don't share my views but now I think it's time to speak up. Breast IS best!!!! Of course it is, its natures way of feeding baby, how could something synthetic and man made be better than the real thing? That's just nuts!

Of course I don't treat bottle feeding mums different or look down on them coz at the end of the day its a very personal choice, its the opinions that get to me. I myself use formula and breastmilk because of my circumstances but breast is my first choice.

There, got that off my chest and feel better image

Replies

• Options
    Good for you, I second that!
    My LO is now on formula (1yr old), he BF until 5 months.
    As I've previously said I shall be BF'ing no.2 for longer but I think that is quite common to BF the subsequent bb's for longer as in theory you know what you're doing after the first, or I hope I do!
    I actually look at little newborns & think it's a shame when I see a big bottle put in their mouth but why are bottle feeders not told they are 'eurgh, disgusting!'
    I've added my two penneth to the thread in the Pregnancy forum.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Options
    Here, here!! image
    Glad you feel better and TBH so do I!! It is best for babies, not to mention cheaper, and easier, and "greener".
    I do sympathise with women who physically can't breastfeed, but those that say it's "weird" or creepy, I think thats their issue and its a shame their babies have to take bottles because of their mum's neurosis.
    I've breastfed Max since birth, and I've been so sore my nipples were cracked and bleeding, I've had mastitis TWICE but we've battled through. He's 7 months now, not fat, very healthy and happy and as for me, I've gone down to a size 10 ! xxxxxx
  • Options
    Ok Nicx, and now breathe :lol:
    I can't imagine what has driven you to rant this evening, surely nothing you've read on this website :roll:

I couldn't agree more, can you imagine the response if we posted on a thread supporting formua feeding saying that we thought formula was disgusting and people should have to do it where no body could see! Personally I couldn't give a stuff how any body else chooses to feed their child, or for that matter, where they choose to feed there child. Why should I have to put up with other people telling me what I am allowed to do with my child?
    Kerry xx
  • Options
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

That feels better - I am getting so sick to feck of reading that breastfeeding is wierd /creepy/mingeing you should only do it in a dark room in the middle of nowhere.Who the hell are these people.

Then we get people coming on here saying everyones looking down on them because they are going to bottle feed and whats all this crap about breast is best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well breast is best.

I formula fed my first baby after a week of b/f due to problems I had - BUT I didn't then go around slagging off breast feeders and I never felt that anyone looked down on me.It was the excact opposite as everyone is just so used to bottle feeding.I am just sick to death of the shitty comments on breast feeding.We are all mums just wanting to do the best for our babies no one should look down on anyone for the way they feed their babies and that works BOTH WAYS.

I have now been breast feeding my 2nd for 12 months and feel very proud of this fact.

• Options
    I think i have to join in on this one image

I am sick and tired of seeing the words 'sick, digusting, wierd, unnatural and bf' in the same sentence.

I will say exactly what i think now.

Formula is a sick invention where women are made to feel that pouring chemically derived and enhanced 'milk' (and i use the term loosely) is better for your child. Where the hell do you think all the 'immunofortis' comes from? Its natural in bmilk, its chemically made in formula. But of course, you wouldnt go and pour a full tub of a known chemical, say, bleach, down your childs throat now would you? What do you think youre doing with formula????? image

BREAST IS BEST and the reason some people get so uppity about it is because they know that and are either too lazy, selfish, or disgusting to bother trying it.

I cant stand the attitudes of SOME ff, they think they're so much better than me, and why? For sticking a piece of latex into their childs mouth and pouring chemicals down their throat. Yeah, right. :roll:

Its a bloody myth that people cant produce enough milk - 90% of the population can do, but in this modern bottlefeeding society, its easier to say you cant produce and feed chemicals, than it is to persevere and give your child the best thing for them.

"Aptamil First is a whey based infant milk for bottlefed babies suitable from birth to 12 months. It contains nucleotides, LCPs, antioxidants, and IMMUNOFORTIS???? our patented mix of special ingredients similar to those found in nature."

Right so its based on whey - which is very difficult for the child to digest, bloating their stomach and making their newly born gut work very very hard.
    It contain things that are similar to nature? How do you think they got them? Chemicals. Theres no way they are ever going to b the same without chemicals as you can only find these things in bmilk!

They also contain hydrolised fats (the BAD ones....) which a newborn babies body cannot break down very easily, so again making them work three times as hard to actually get any goodness from formula!

Anyone can slate me, I dont care wether you agree with me or not.
    Formula is bad, it is a second class feed. It is full of chemicals and tastes like sh!t compared to the sweet taste of bmilk.

The next person that tells me bf is sick wrong and disgusting, especially in public, will be told the same- sticking latex or silicone should be kept to breasts not a babys mouth! And fomula should be discontinued full stop, then people would have no choice but to bf, But there would be outrage then., so why the outrage at wanting to bf our children?

I'd love to start a petition asking for the complete removal of formula but can you imagine the response, from here alone!?! image

But anyways, thats just my opinion, feel free to disagree with me, as I'm sure all the ff will do.

What really gets my goat is when they come into the bf forum and then slate bf, and say nothing except they wont do it because its not best for them! Well go away into a different forum then! Gah! :evil:

Sorry ladies, rant over .
    (can you tell Ollie had me up at 3 am?)

xxxxxx
  • Options
    Can i just say, mel and anatoric that on the pg thread about bf i said it was CREEPY to feed toddlers not babies in public! I am not anti breastfeeding, i breastfed my daughter and i will breastfeed this one because breast is best! If i need to i will do it in public but will be nervous cos of issues i have with my own body not because i worry about ppl's oppinions on bf. anyone wanna borrow my step ladder to get down off their high horse??
  • Options
    I'm replying here as a bottler not a breasty..........however I do fall into the category of being one of those that doesn't produce sufficient amount of the nourishing stuff - mine stays as the basic foremilk. I found this out with my 1st - she fed constantly but was losing weight, wasn't sleeping etc and it was my health visitor then who realised what the problems where after we'd gone thru the usual list of latching probs etc and had ruled those out! I bottled my 2nd and 3rd from birth and my hubby loved it as he did all the night feeds!! With my 4th, I did try again but came up against the same problems so he went onto the bottle. I will probably go straight with bottles for my 5th, but basically as I do not want to unnecessarily distress my baby - it's so hard seeing them hungry and unsettled and knowing that ur the problem. I really do admire women who breastfeed - I think it's one of those amazing things that nature provides (for most) and should be embraced not poo-poo'd at because u don't want to do it! I also don't think a woman should be frowned upon either if they do decide to bottle, for whatever reason.......I didn't try breast at all with my 3rd as my hubby loved being able to feed them (although had things worked out differently, I do know he'd have been happy for me)!

I think the only reason ppl go on about it so much is that there is help for those that do breastfeed but none for those that decide or find they have to bottle feed - apart from what it says on the tin!
  • Options
    I think you've have been a bit too general in your statements. Some women who want to breast feed can't because of medical reasons and will have to resort to the bottle, or the I quote.... "chemically derived and enhanced 'milk' (and i use the term loosely) is better for your child. Where the hell do you think all the 'immunofortis' comes from? Its natural in bmilk, its chemically made in formula. But of course, you wouldnt go and pour a full tub of a known chemical, say, bleach, down your childs throat now would you? What do you think youre doing with formula????? Formula is bad, it is a second class feed. It is full of chemicals and tastes like sh!t compared to the sweet taste of bmilk."

I'm sorry SY, but your words were very stinging and have driven me to tears as someone who will not be able to breastfeed my child, I have no choice but to give my child the "so called poison" as you state it is!!!!

• Options
    some women cant bf, I do understand that, and it is not those people that have upset me and made me speak out. I apologise for upsetting you Jess, but I am upset myself by the attitudes of SOME ff. Again it is a case of some ruin it for all, and I am truley sorry for making you cry.

It is the people who have NEVER tried (people have tried and found it too difficult, or have encountered medical problems, or just didnt get on with it) but still insist on pushing their opinion that bf is sick and digusting and wrong, regardless of what age the baby is! The fact that those words ever come into a sentence with bf as well makes most people just feel that everyone sees bf as sick and wrong and disgusting (they dont se the bit about it being that over a certain age) and they feel upset.

The reason i put in about formula having chemicals in it was because there has been a big uproar about the chemicals in plastic bottles, and people are looking for alternatives (when they are perfectly safe) but noone says anything about other chemicals that they encouter on a daily basis - for some, formula being one of them.
    Chemicals are present everywhere - half the food we eat has it in! (how does it get such a long shelf life otherwise!) Ollie will be and is subjected to chemicals in what he eats, but Yes--- we do grow all our own vegetable and fruit, and source our meat from a local butcher (coz its cheaper than the supermarkets) so we know we have reduced the number of chemicals he consumes. He will not be chemical free, nothing and noone ever is.

I dont care how others chose to feed their child - its their child. I will never tell them they should bf, but we are constantly told, if we ever hit a bad patch, that we should start ff coz in the words of one person i know 'breast obviously isnt good enough for him is it'!

Look at the following site
    http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/en/materialforclients/index.asp
    notice that a little way down there is a dowloadable/orderable leaflet - what does it say next to them..... please make widely available to clients
    this is the leaflet: http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/en/materialforclients/downloads/leaflet_2.pdf

It IS widely available here, but i dont know about other areas. MWs and HVs here do give advice about formula, even tho they are not allowed to by the govt.

There is little to no support for bf, especially once you're out of the hospital- read some of the threads in this section and they will show you exactly that! That is why a lot of people fail to bf when they want to. Because there is no support! So i disagree with the following statement:
    "I think the only reason ppl go on about it so much is that there is help for those that do breastfeed but none for those that decide or find they have to bottle feed - apart from what it says on the tin!"

I think the reason people go on about it so much is because they want to give their opinion, but dont want others to state the other side of the story.

And i reiterate about why do people come into the bf forum just to start a thread saying they wont breastfeed, or add to a thread that its all rubbish anyway so whats the point.....

"all this breast is best crap" = well it might be crap to you but some of us feel very very passionately about it! So if you dont want to talk about it dont come into the bf forum!

As final note - I was ff. My mother was dying from cancer and so couldnt feed me herself as much as she wanted to. It hasnt done me any harm, but it is a major reason why I will always reccomend bf over ff.
    And I did say the attitudes of 'some' ffs, and the people who have Never tried to bf are what upsets me.

But again, I am sorry for upsetting you Jess. It is like me going into the bottlefeeding forum and being upset when i see everyone saying bf is crap and rubbish and disgusting.
  • Options
    i dont think this thread was ment to become a debate or upset any ff mummies. this i a forum for breastfeeding mums where we can talk a bout all things we face. people should not be getting upset over whats said here. we are just trying to discuss the negativity we face. if this was posted on the baby forum then maybe it could be seen as be an attack on ff so you could defend your selves but when it on a breast feeding forum for breastfeeding mums then i dont understand why peope that dont breast feed are even reading it let alone getting upset. its not directed at any one that formula feeds, its just some one letting off steam.

i partly ff my first and there is no way i will let it touch my daughters lips. were 8 months in and i know of other babies the same that are huge. i get sick of people saying how small chloe is, shes normal for her age its all the formula fed babies that are over weight. do ff mums have any idea how upsetting it is when there implying you baby is underweight? how would they feel if you just walked up to them and said " god isnt your baby over weight". we have become a society where people frequently say things upsetting, even if with out meaning to, to bf mums and were suppost to quietly except it. but anything said against formula and there a hugh up roar.

i think the reason its seen as creepy and weird is because the only people that are brave enough to stand up for bf are people that take it to an extreme and feed into tooder hood. the media dont help only focusing on the extreme cases. i can see why a non breastfeeder would see feeding a 5 year old weird. i do and i love breast feeding, no offence anyone. i wish that it was more normal, that a women being interviewed with her baby on the gmtv sofa could safely stick a baby up her top and feed and no one even talk about feeding, thats how normal it should be. no one thinks twice when they give a bottle on telly.
  • Options
    I do see your point SY but as someone who wishes they could breastfeed but can't - I guess it hurts. I just managed to catch this thread from the front page and didn't realise it was the breastfeeding chat forum.
    I must say I enjoyed an antenatal class where we were given equal information on brestfeeding and bottlefeeding. All in all I do want to do what is best for my baby, and I do know that breast is best, I am reminded of that every waking day but unfortunately for me I will never have the opportuntiy to bf, so ff I must
  • Options
    I can imagine it does hurt jess, and again I'm very sorry for upsetting you. It wasn't aimed at you at all.
    I can imagine how upsetting it would be for me if I couldnt bf, so can believe how much my words hurt you.
  • Options
    That's okay SY all is forgiven I also think it's my hormones getting the better of me, but I can understand your points. I'd rather not think i'm going to be doing the equivalent of pouring bleach down my baby's throat though, so I will just have to get over that statement and move on. For all ladies out there who are bottlefeeding or breastfeeding, I guess the moral of the story is we shouldn't judge one another, we all want to do what we feel is best for our children, in the same sense that we all don't look alike, we also don't share the same opinions, and i think this is one of those subjects where where ladies do sometimes have to agree to disagree and do what's best for themselves.
  • Options
    Well if we are allowed veiws on here and dont get persicuted I dont believe either should be made to feel second rate. Jeez there are enought bottle fed babies who are fully grown adults who are healthy to know bottle aint that bad.

I will be breast feeding but dont have an issue with what anyone else wants to do.

Some women bf and have appauling diets and drink smoke etc, but who am i to judge. some women bottle feed when there boobs would work fine but again who am I to judge. We need to be a little less judgemental on both camps.

I do feel bf after a point does become a bit if anything unessessary as its not required anymore and if used as a comforter its no dif in my view than stopping a two year old having a dummy for the same reason they dont need it. but wouldnt say anything under my breath if I saw it cos its non of my bloody business. in the same way its none of my business why women choose to ff.

Less judging and more live and let live needed I think. Our own childrens upbringing are our probs not other people's childrens.

As someone who wants to bf I think its the bottle feeders who are under fire more and am glad I am not under such scrutiny myself its unessesary, the veiws of the gross, unatural yardy yardy seem to come more from te pro breasters to a piont I think?!?! maybe I am the only one who noticed this?

Just ran and put me hard hat on for any fall out so am prepared image

[Modified by: jmp on June 25, 2008 11:25 AM]
  • Options
    if you put a space after the icon it should work....

I'd have to disagree about it coming more from the pro bf. It is frequently mentioned by others that they see it that way - i have merely repeated some of their statements, or choice of words.
  • Options
    even my hubby gets snotty comments at work from dads whos babies are formula fed because im still breastfeeding. chloe is only 8 months. he never says anything negative to them about there choices. most mums that breast feed do have issues with formula but we dont have issues with the women doing it and are alot more careful about what we say to them, where as people slate breastfeeding very openly.
  • Options
    where i live out of all the babies born at the same time i am the only one bf.i am always being told that he needs a bottle that he would gain more weight or sleep better if he had some formula and make me feel i am doing something really weird.i love bf and know it best for my baby if it takes him a bit longer to sleep throught then so be it and he might not put on as much weight but he is still a healthy weight .i would never dream of telling someone ff or planing to what do . am just sick of people who ff who seem to think they know whats best for my baby
  • Options
    when you believe i something so passionately and then someone comes along with no idea about it because they have never tried and slates it and calls it wierd and disgusting and unnatural, it is only normal to defend it!

Maybe if ff stopped banging on about how we should be feeding in cupboards or toilets, in hiding, or not bf at all, then, maybe then, will we stop defending what we believe in passionately. After all there wouldnt be a reason for us to defend it then would there!?!

And i know youre refering to me when you say 'some people'. So have more conviction and say what you mean.
  • Options
    I really don't think that anyone should attack or critise any mother for any way she feeds her baby.SY you have very strong views on formula and that is your right to do so - I feel maybe it comes across a bit strongly.But completly understand that you could have such strong views but I don't agree with them

.Breast feeding has been attacked on this forum a number of times.I formula fed my son and I do not consider it was poison it wasn't my first choice but breast feeding can be very difficult and we are not all able to do it- we may have the milk but lots of different factors come into it.

BUt on the breast feeding side
    We had the its sick to feed over a certain age,the it makes me sick when i'm eating to see some one breast feed and all mothers should express before leaving the house and now not feed in public!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have Artygal telling me its creepy to feed a toddler.Well I am still feeding my 12 month old and she is walking so that makes me creepy.That has really upset me and made me feel very nervous if I need to feed her when I am out and about because I will be looked at as CREEPY. :cry:
    But that is artygal view - a sad one but it is hers so I will just have to accept that and not give a toss.
  • Options
    I know i do have strong views, and not everyone agrees with them (in fact i fully expected to be shunned for them) and they have upset someone already, which i have apologised for.

I dont see that taking them off would make much difference tho.. that would make me seem like i had something to hide about what i said???

i never usually push bf into anyones face, if they ask me advice i give them advice, if they dont I dont. I know people in real life who chose both methods to feed their lo's and it makes no difference to me, but then they're not sat there slating me because i chose to bf, they're accepting of that without judgement.

Interestingly enough, I asked my HV if she considered Ollie to be a toddler at 13 months and he is walking she said no, he's still a baby, but not far from being a toddler.....

Melanie M - you are not creepy at all. You are doing the best for your child.

*it was said on the thread that this was originally about - on the petition thread that we should use cupboards in malls...... and they certainly say that breast is best is rubbish*

I'm not a victim, and had no intentions of making myself out to be one. It just appeared that you were refering to me.

[Modified by: S.Y on June 25, 2008 12:19 PM]