Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

using up my frozen milk

thomas is now 5 months old and i have moved to mixed feeding - as he was being so fussy on the breast! so now i try to give him bottles all the time - be it formula or expressed milk. i was lucky enough to build up a large supply of EBM in the freezer. i am still expressing twice a day but i don't think i can do this much longer as he wants to be entertained all the time!

i know that breastmilk can be kept for 3months in the freezer. i've got it all dated so i use it in rotation.

my question is, is it best to give him lots of EBM in a day (and therefore the freezer supply would go down quickly) or is it better to give him slightly less which would mean he could have breastmilk for a longer period of time? i keep setting myself targets, and my most recent aim was to get to 6 months with 2 or 3 breastmilks a day. it would be great if he could carry on having some after this date.

i'd value your opinions!

thanks xxx

Replies

• Ooh interesting question!

I don't know if there's a "right" answer, but if it were me I'd prob make the bm last as long as poss, so just give it to him am and pm and give formula during the day, for example.

This is because I'm a bit obsessed with process though and I'd like the thought of getting into the swing of eg. getting 2 bms out to defrost overnight, every evening, until the stocks have gone, rather than using up the stocks quickly and then having to switch to a different preparation routine.

The reason I said am and pm for the bm is because in my situation I'd find it more convenient to use formula during the day, as then you don't have worries about keeping it at the right temp if you go out and about. But this might not be an issue for you.

I'm talking absolute rubbish tonight! Not even sure why I replied as I don't know the answer! :lol:

Anyway, that's what I'd do, but my reasons are a bit odd :lol:
  • hi not sure, personally i wld drag it out as long as possible, so he's getting ur nutrients for longer.i've just finished mix feeding at 7 months, and at the end was only doing one feed a day but it was still one feed of my milk. also just wanted to say breastmilk can be kept in a deep freeze for 6 months, so doubled ur time there. also i wld prob do the ebm feeds in the morning or just when ur home, personally, i wld do the last feed as ff, as ds always settles better with a ff. xx
  • hi

I also would drag it out so to speak, then if he came down with a bug you could then go back to exclusive EBM for a day or so, (i really notice the difference in lo when he has EBM when he is poorly)

• thank you! i think i will drag it out.

interesting re your opinions as to when in the day to use EBM. i was on holiday last week and had lots to use up in the freezer there (from when i went a month ago) and when i went out for the day i took some out of the freezer and put it in cool bag and it slowly defrosted all day, so i heated it up before we drove home. i'm going to the Good Food Show in a few weeks and i know i'll be out all day then so i might do something similar then.

thank you!! xxx
  • Breastmilk is so amazing as it changes daily according to your baby's specific needs (e.g. if they are having a growth spurt, are in need of particular nutrients etc). So my understanding has always been to use up expressed breastmilk sooner rather than later as it is suitable for that particular moment in time that you expressed it.

However, I can understand that you want to make your supply last and I can't imagine that it is going to do any harm at all if you feed it to lo over a longer period of time. Every little bit that you give him is going to be so beneficial!

• No that I'm any kind of expert (!) but if it was me I would stretch it out as well. Get the benefits for longer and might be kinder for him tummy.