Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how much do you manage to express?

i started relactating just over 3 weeks ago.
Sammy is nrly 8 wks old and has a feed off me (both sides) every time and a top up of formula. sometimes he just has an 1oz top up. Sometimes 3oz.

Hubby has let me have a good kip and done the night feed so i got up and pumped this monring. I got just shy of 3 oz combined from both breasts. Thats the most ive ever gotten EVER so i am chuffed but no its not enough still.

tbh im struggling to express much as have 3 boys under 5ys of age so dont get much time.

Im just wondering if im headed in the right direction to EBF anytime soon or if its a false hope.

Many thanks
Jenn and Sammy
7+5

Replies

• I was in a similar situation with my first lo as I was ebf and topping up with expressed milk as he was premature and we had to get a certain amount into him! The only way to get off the toppin gup I found was just to STOP doing it and feed him more often if necessary - to be honest it meant he started feeding a bit longer at each feed and still went the same time between feeds.So my advice for EBF would be to just give up those top ups and go for it!

As for expressing and how much you get I would really not worry about it - it's not an indication of what's there just that expressing suits some and not others - babies are MUCH more effective at getting milk out. I could alwyas express quite well but my friend bf till her lo was 1 but she could hardly every express even an oz but there was plenty there for lo!

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT UP! image
  • in the 6 months I have breastfed once i got enough to fill the teat of a bottle and the other time i got 45 ml that is it image
  • I think you should just stop expressing and put Sammy to the breast. As maximum said, babies are much more effective at getting the milk out than any hand or electric pump is so put baby to the breast at every feed and that will get your milk supply up sooner than just expressing.

Well done for putting the effort in to relactate xxx
  • Hey hun! I average about 4oz in total from both breast although when my milk first came in I could easily get double this amount.

Like some of the ladies have said baby is so much more effective in getting the milk out than any pump. Even when your breast are soft and feel empty believe me the LO will get what they need. So I would advise u to get the LO on the boob as often as possible with lots of skin to skin contact to increase your supply.

However, if you do want to perserveer with expressing, I'm not sure how u go about it at the moment but what works for me is to start of by hand expressing as much as pssible and to massage the breast really well (like kneading dough) in the process to stimulate the ducts. Once I've gotten as much as poss this way I use the pump (I use a TT manual) and once this slows down I put baby on the opposite breast while I pump the other (which honestly is like magic, the milk just flows out!)

But yeah, I do think I would cut out the FF top ups and just get LO on those boobs as much as they want it. I reckon this would be the best way to get your supply up as your supply will increase according to demand therefore if you cut out the FF baby will demand more, you will provide the breast and your breast will produce more. Within a couple of days you should notice the difference.

After my LO was born I was unwell and so for 2 weeks we gave him FF at night time (3 feeds a night). When I was feeling better I went back to BF at night. I don't know how much milk I had when I first started doing this but after a few nights I did notice that my boobs were considerably fuller at night to what they had been and so I guess had increased the amount of milk they produced to meet the demand of the night feeds.

Keep at it anyway hun! You're doing really well and it must be difficult especially with the 3 little ones to run around after too. You're doing an excellent job I'm sure!

All the best, KB and Kaleb (8 weeks!) Xx