Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is it advisable to have some formula in, just incase?

Hi

I was wondering if it is wise to have some cartons in the fridge just incase they're needed despite me intending to breastfeed?

Thanks x

Replies

• Personally I wouldn't. I think if I had had formula in the house when I had mastitis with Millie (my oldest) then I would have given up and switched over to ffing. Because I didn't I managed to feed her untill she weaned herself and I am now successfully feeding my second.
    It's obviously up to you, but it is unlikely that you would find yourself in a position where you really couldn't get formula if you needed it. How long do you have left to go now?
    xx
  • yes of course - if it makes you feel better. I did. I had a few in the cupboard, but never needed them! Oh tried to feed her one and she was having none of it...hates formula!

Some bf mums have try not to keep formula in the house in the early days as you need to keep feeding little and often to get your supply up. To know there's a 'back - up' when things get hard in the first couple of weeks could mean the difference of giving up and carrying on. If you know there's no other choice but to keep bf you are more likely to carry on until your baby is ready to wean. ;\)
  • Hmmmm yeah I see your point, if formula wasn't in the house I might not be tempted if it gets tough???

I'm due next week :lol:
  • ooooooo - exciting! Good luck with everything. it's such a magical time. Take lots of photos as they grow so fast! I loved bonding with my newborn and breast feeding is the perfect way to do that! I took photos and films of her bf in the early days and it melts my heart to look back on them now and see how much she has grown and changes all because of me and my magic milk!!!! :lol:
  • I'd say dont have any in the house.... when you're exhausted from a lack of sleep an your baby is going through their first growth spurt it will be so tempting to 'top up' with it, which can stop your supply catching up to your los demands/needs.
    It might sound wierd but I'd say get a breastpump instead, and express for five mins once a day from the start. you prob wont get anything at first but it will help your milk supply increase faster, and you'll always have an extra feed then that you can freeze if you want anyone else to feed lo...

Good luck for next week! Hope everything goes well image

xxxx
  • My dh was really worried about bf not working out or being being too tired. I said that I didn't want to get any formula but ended up buying a few cartons to make him feel better. I also got a breast pump and bottles and steriliser.

Even though they were there I didn't ever feel tempted to use one as I was so determined to establish breastfeeding. My dh was totally supportive and didn't once suggest using it.

I did also buy some dummies just in case and did give them to my lo befire the recommended 4 weeks as she was just using me as a comforter.

Good luck!
  • I would say get some in, its kind of like an insurance policy, I bought a tin and 3 bottles and they stayed in my cupboard and never got used, It is better to have some and not need it than be panicking at 3am becuase you have a screaming baby and no milk. Must say I was never tempted to use it but then I am quite stubborn and once I made my mind up I was going to breastfeed it would have taken a lot to make me give formula. Good luck xxx
  • My advice would be no. I remember many a time being up at 3am with a screaming baby saying things like 'i can't do this anymore, i'm putting her on formula tomorrow' but then things always seem 100 times worse at 3am when all you want to do is sleep. If i'd had formula in the house i'd have gone & given it to her but things always seemed better in the morning so managed to exclusively breastfeed until she turned 7 months and only gave up because the time was right for us and not because i felt i wasn't enough. Don't ever feel you've failed if breastfeeding doesn't work out either. Wishing you all the best for you and your iminent arrival!

Claire & Olivia xx
  • Wow such a mixed response! I have got some TT bottles, a cold water sterilser (this how much I intend to bf and didn't see the point in buying a big expensive one if I'm not going to use it much!) and a manual breast pump.

My hubby is completely behind me with bf and it's me that thought maybe it would be a good idea.

I can see why not, but sposing I am having problems in the night and it's my only alternative but I don't have any?