Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bubbly poos/colic (also in BIJ)

I was wondering if any of your breastfed little ones have what I can only describe as bubbly poos?? I was explaining this to the infant feeding advisor midwife and she said that it was probably because my boy isn't staying on the breast long enough to get enough 'fatty' milk i.e. the majority of his feed is foremilk. I kind of disagree as he is on for at least 20 mins - surely by this time he would have taken a substantial amount of hindmilk?? He is a quick feeder.

We're having terrible problems with his wind the past week - we've tried gripe water and are now trying colicynth. Has anyone else tried this?? Any success stories?

Any advise would be great!

xxx

Replies

• What colour are they? my lo had green poo and I'm sure it was because of this but infant feeding advisor disagreed because they weren't bubbly.

Are you eating properly, I upped what I was eating and drinking as I think it was milk quality rather than length of feeds that was doing it (i lost 6 pounds in a week the week he had green poo)

can't help with the wind but it does sound like he might be having too much foremilk x
  • Thank you for the reply.

Poos are mustardy/chicken korma in colour (pretty normal, I think, for a bf baby). I'm sure I'm eating ok, maybe need to try to get a bit more fruit and veg into my diet though. Definately eating enough calories!!!

Just don't know how to get him to stay on for longer????

• hmm I could be wrong but if they are yellow its unlikely to be milk imbalance? They would be green because foremilk is bluer. The only thing i can suggest is express after he has finished and see what the milk is like, and if you want try feeding it too him. That and just use one boob in each 2-4 hour period x
  • This post has made me remember and chuckle inside image
    I had exactly this problem with my son early on - well, until about 3-4months.
    I'd be in the middle of feeding him and he was happily bubbling away!! I'd turn around and he'd be in his bouncer covered from knee to belly button in the space of a minute! The amount of clothes we had to throw away was unreal.

Don't worry, its normal. Breastmilk is just so easily digested and it doesnt have any wastage like formula. Breastfed babies have 'sloppy' ones until there on solids.

I wouldnt worry about fore and hind milk quantities, just as long as he's coming off the breast and looks content (watch for floppy arms/sleepy look etc) and gaining weight then you're doing a great job. Your milk adapts for your baby, there may be different balances of fore and hind throughout the day and in summer you'll find you will have more fore milk to quench their thirst (amazing booby juice image) You can only really tell by expressing and leaving to settle (the hind milk rises) but i really wouldnt worry! Breastfeeding is not about measuring your milks, just pop him on and let him beimage
    My little one was a quick feeder, he only has 1 boob at a time for about 5-10 minutes but he's a bruiser! He's 6 months and weighs 20lb.

As for the wind, gripe water is good and worked for us. We didnt try infacol so couldnt review. Have you tried different positions/walking around and patting the back or maybe a wind relief pad? Is he in pain with the wind or is it that he's just not burping? Some bf babies dont struggle with wind x
  • Hi hun,
    Sounds pretty normal to me. My lo sometimes does bubbly/ frothy type poos and she also is a quick feeder (10 mins usually).
    As long as you're getting plenty of wet nappies too and your lo is gaining weight I wouldn't worry.
    Vic xx
  • Thank you so much for your replies - you've given me a lot of reassurance.

Haydensmummy - what is a wind relief pad? I've never heard of this.

Going to the health centre tomorrow so will ask to get him weighed. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies and he seems to be perfectly content after a feed (except in the evenings when he's got a lot of wind!)

Thanks again girlies!

xxx
  • allzo, my baby was born in july too, and last night she had a yellowy mustardy defo not green poo, which was like foam with little bubbles in! that was the very first time! and shes a brilliant feeder, quick but she defo gets what she needs. maybe its the actual milk changing around this age?? after all, were nearly at 3 months which i heard, is the most calorifically demanding time for BF. my dd defo desont have colic and never has wind troubles so im not worried. x