Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

feeling down :-(

just need to have a rant!

finnley is 12 weeks old now. i've needed a lot of advise from you ladies re:bf as its been a bit of an uphill struggle. i'm pleased to say i'm still bfing but have now had to start giving formula aswell. i feel like a failure.

my poor little fella suffers with colic and gastric reflux. he has been having gaviscon sinse he was 2 weeks old. i had loads of problems with milk supply but managed to increase it with plenty of expressing and healthy eating. my dad died when finn was 6 weeks which caused my milk to drop off again but i worked hard and thought i'd managed to build it up again. when i had him weighed he hadn't gained much weight. since then i have had to go every week to have him weighed and he is now only 11lbs 3oz and just above the 2nd centile. i just don't have enough milk for him so have started topping him up with formula. he has between 3-6 ozs thruout the day and eveytime i have to give it i could cry. i have stopped expressing because it takes up so much time and energy (i have 3 other children) and i was becoming obsessed and upset when i only got 20mls. the formula does settle him but i feel awful. i just wish i could do it all myself.

sorry to be moaning, i feel better for getting it off my chest. bfing is just such a wonderful thing and i want to better at it!!!

[Modified by: rainbowmummy on 21 April 2008 21:22:59 ]

Replies

• Hey there rainbowmummy. Don't beat yourself up - you're doing your best and that's all you can do. Are you able to get along to a breast-feeding support group? I've found mine invaluable - we can all have a moan and get advice too. X
  • Sorry to gate crash this forum but I didn't want to read and run.

Well done for working so hard in order to give Finnley the best start in life. Reading how you feel about feeding him is like reading about how I felt 6 months ago. I wasn't as strong as you and didn't quite make it to one month breast feeding my lo. Needless to say I had to give up and as soon as I started to give Haydn formula exclusively he really started to flourish. I wish I coulda fed him for longer but it just wasn't working. I'm sorry to hear you are having a difficult time and I just wanted to congratulate you on making it this far. You know what is best for your baby and only you can decide what is best for you and your family. I'm sorry for the loss of your father, that came at a very difficult time for you - not that any time is an easy one.

All the best honey, Denise xx
  • Hi there - you should be so proud of yourself! I wore myself out expressing like a mad woman when we had to top up my 1st son for a bit because of poor weight gain and missed out on enjoying him for those first few months. You have had so much more to deal with ( I have 3 now so can nearly imagine how tiring it must be for you with 4!) and it is not surprising you don't have time to express. He really isn't getting that much formula so you are mainly still breastfeeding him anyway. My friend had to top up her baby and is still successfully mix feeding at 6 months so as you feel so strongly about it I'm sure you will be able to carry on doing both. Hopefully the colic will start to get better now too.
    You are fantastic!! xx