Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Constipation and Green Poo?

Both my boys are exclusively bf and are now 3weeks 2 days old. The last 2 days they have both suffered with really bad constipation. Last night im sure it took them both a good 15mins of straining and crying before they could go! They also suffer badly with wind, both ends, and their poo is green (ive been told this is down to the infacol).

Is this normal? I thought breastfed babies werent supposed to suffer with constipation as much. Please help as its so horrid seeing them so uncomfortable and not being able to do anything.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 3 weeks 2 days

Replies

• Options
    Hello,

According to my health visitor all the grunting and straining is normal - the babies haven't learned how to coordinate their muscles yet, so they tense everything up instead of relaxing some to let the wind/poo out. Apparently it is not constipation.

My wee boy is 5 weeks and has been doing this for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully they will grow out of it when they work out what is going on in their tummies.

I actually found a name for it when googling - 'grunting baby syndrome' ! It is hard to watch and he goes so red in the face too image

Not sure about the green poo - we are using Infacol too and get mostly lovely orangey ones, although maybe a gew greenish 'bits' sometimes.

Hope your wee ones are doing ok - it muxt be really hard work as I know how busy I feel with one to entertain.

thistle

• Options
    Hey Gemma - how's it going ?

DS strains like he has the worst constipation in the world !!! But every time he trumps he poos so he's def not constipated - quite the opposite I would say - his poo is quite "loose". He's so loud sometimes he wakes me up at night - I feel so bad for him as it looks so painful - but I'm hoping infacol is helping ...

As for green poo - ds had what dh called "pesto poo" a few times last week - I spoke to the midwife and she confirmed it was because he had a cold and it was the gunge passing thru him.

K x