Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cluster feeding - does it slow down?

My daughter is 6 weeks old and from 1 week old she has always cluster fed. She is wanting to be fed every half an hour for about 15 mins a time!
I'm feeding on demand and her weight gain is fantastic but I feel really restricted by it (sorry if that sounds selfish)
If we go out I give her a bottle of formula or breastmilk (I've been mixed feeding for a couple of weeks now).
Does it even itself out after a while or is this it? I don't feel like I can carry on like this for much longer, she is awake for 3 hours a night when she wakes for her feed.

The thing is, when we have a 'good' feed I love the closeness and the easiness and the fact that I am giving her a great start so I don't want to stop if it's going to get better!!

Anybody have any advice or similar experiences?

Lulu
xxx

Replies

• Oh hun i remember those days, but youl be pleased to hear there a distant memory image

My lo is now 7months but up until 5months we fed every 1-2 hrs though the day, cluster feeding would be from 4pm-10pm and it was hell on earth :lol:

I had good and bad days, but im so so glad that i stuck with it, as now hes on 3 meals, were down to 4 milk feeds a day and a couple in the night...its so much easier and i love it image

Keep up the fab job your doing, if you want to introduce formula do so, its your choice, i just want you to know theres is light at the end :\)
  • Hi yes it really does get better. Each baby is different so i can't say she will feed less at this time but as her tummy grows and she takes more at one feed she will need to feed less often and for a shorter amount of time as she will also drink quicker.
    Don't give up.
    xx
  • Lulu , I think I wrote a very similiar post about 6 weeks ago and like the other ladies have said yes it does get better.

George is 11 weeks on Tuesday and has just got himself into a routine and generally feeds every 3 hours.

If u can stick it out past the 6 week mark I think you'll find it a big difference. Also I've used formula to get me thro the hard times, I felt it was better to give the odd bottle when I really needed a break than to give up completely through the stress and exhaustion.

Hang in there abit longer x x
  • Thanks for the replies, this weekend seems to be a lot better. Like you claireclaired, I am giving the odd bottle of formula or expressed milk which is giving me a bit of a break and giving me the energy to carry on!!

xxx
  • My ds also likes to cluster feed in the evening - I express in the morning so I have extra to give him when he does this as I feel like I will run out of milk otherwise (plus there is only so much feeding my (.)(.) can take!). He sleeps really well - so I'm sure this is helping but it is tiring ... will my (.)(.) produce enough milk for this constant evening feeding - or would I be better introducing a bottle of formula ?

K x