Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Reached my goal but can't stop...

Well my little angel turned 1 last week (where did that time go?!?) and my goal was always to get to 12 months then hang up my feeding bra and reclaim my boobies HOWEVER, I've promptly had to boycot that plan now as he is all allergic to all dairy and adamantly refuses to take even a drop of formula (soya).
I can get him to take it in his breakfast and he has soya yogurts with added calcium but that's it really. I still give him 3 feeds a day which in all honesty I'm quite happy to carry on doing but just wondered when can you safely take them off milk altogether without worrying that he still needs to drink some in some kind of form?

Replies

• I have just spend half an hour writting u a reply and it dissappeared somewhere!!My baby is also dairy allergic,we are seenig consultant on Friday and Im not coping at all.She was exclusivly breastfed fur the first 6 months and now at 7 and half months is still fully breastfed and weaned.I was keen to introduce some formula on her baby rice as she was always a very bad eater and all hell broke loose.How did u cope? Im a complete mess.
  • Oh that's soo annoying when it disappears isn't it !!! I usually copy it into my mouse first before posting just in case now lol.

Luckily Kade wasn't too bad with formula in his food it was just when I tried to give it him straight that he refused it.
    I guess what you may be able to try is mixing a bit of expressed milk with the formula so she can still taste bm, then gradually reduce it little by little. It might be worth a try?

Hopefully the consultant may have some better advice for you but I know how hard it is having a dairy allergic baby.
    Good luck hun, hope it gets easier for you soon xx
  • Firstly well done for reaching that year milestone! secondly if you are happy to carry on then do it, When I had my daughter who is 4 next month I wanted to make it to a year then stop, she however had different ideas and was not happy to give up at a year so she continued on morning and night feeds till she was 22 months, she doesnt drink milk hardly at all now and she is quite healthy. xx
  • thank you for replying trouble is she is not just refusing formula she was actually quite keen to wolf it down with baby rice but she has sufferred horrendous allergic reaction straight away.To this day the hives from her chest did not dissapeared luckily the ones from her face did.She even reacted when she grabbed mashed potato or was in contact with a small girl who recently drunk milkshake.Allergy like that can kill,and my sweet Gp told me simply not to give her any formula or dairy and he didnt know what else to do.Only after I created merry hell he sudenly rememberd people usually get reffered for allergy test.Anyway.well see on friday.Good luck with your little sweetie.
  • Thanks hayley I, I've not got a problem carrying on for the forseeable so will just play it by ear until he decides he's had enough. Just scared he'll never want to give up image

Sooky2, it sounds as though your poor little girl has it bad!! Sorry have no good advice for you image Hope it went well at the consultants yesterday. xxx
  • if you are happy to keep on breast feeding then do it i breast feed my daughter for 16 months untill she decided she did not want it any more as for the soya milk just keep trying little bit im sure he will get used to it in the end just take your time hun you can breast feed as long as you want.

becki. xxx