Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Extremely close to giving up, can I get through this pain???

I have been BFing for 4 weeks now and it's never been plain sailing, blocked milk ducts, attachment problems, fast let down etc but this takes the biscuit!!! I'm in total agony with my right breast, I mean like up there with my strongest contractions type of pain, the type that made me want to go to the hospital last night and beg for morphine (I didnt). I just don't know if I can carry on, surely I should be over the hurdles by 4 weeks!!!! I'm still putting her on my right breast but it is as hard after a feed as before and if I express I'm only getting 30mls! The breast is beyond full though!!! I'm off to the docs today but can I get through this??? I can't help think if I get it sorted something else will come along to scupper all my plans!!!! Help!!!!! xxxxx

Replies

• The first few weeks are really really hard and it sounds like you've had it harder than most but it is sooooo worth it. It suddenly just stops hurting and now I absolutely love it. You've done all the hard work, just stick it out!!!!
  • you can do it lyns.....go to the docs still but also try a cabbage leaf in your bra, have a soak in the bath, nice and hot and submerge your whole breast under water....i find my milk flows well after a few mins of gentle massage....you are doing the right thing still using your poorly breast first....you just need to get it empty.

keep at it, you've done sooooooo well for 4 weeks

xxxxxx
  • Sounds like you're having a mare of it! It does get better! With my first I got really bad mastitis in the first week and had to go to the emergency docs so know how you must feel as I certainly thought I couldn't carry on but once I got over the first hurdles I managed to bf until 7 months when I went back to work.

You can do it and it is worth persevering.
  • You can get through it - but like the others have said, so go to the doctors, and buy yourself a cabbage! Are you taking paracetamol? You can while breastfeeding you know, and it might help a bit.
    I had a tough first few weeks with my first baby, but it does get easier and it's so worth it in the end - like the others said, you've done the hard work now, it will get better.
  • Thank you so much for your kind words of support!!! I'm going to the docs at 3.30pm and I've got a breastfeeding counsellor coming to see me at 5pm!!! I've managed to feed quite a bit on the painful breast and it's feeling a little better now it's not quite so engorged!!!

Thanks again!!! I needed a pep talk xxx
  • Aw you poor thing, I agree with what others have said, in particular mrspp84, all those things helped me, things got easier for me after 6 wks and again after 8 wks, no one tells you how hard it is but you are doing brill, keep it up. I also used warm flannels on my boob before each feed to help with engorgement and hand expressed to slow the flow down .
    ((((HUGS)))))
  • Thank you!!!! I've got mastitis, the doctor was lovely and felt very sorry for me! Aww!!! Breastfeeding counsellor came and help me with a position to help her drain the breast better!!! Feeling quite positive, I'm just glad I've got meds and it is something that is treatable!!!

Thanks again for those who have commented, just when I'm about to reach for the formula it's good to know people have overcome these things and I can too!!! xxxx
  • so glad you're feeling more positive.

Out of interest - what position did the counsellor suggest.....i've had a day from hell with my little man who just wanted to be attached all day....perhaps he isn't draining the breast properly which is resulting in him staying hungry

xx
  • Glad your feeling a bit better littlelyns!

Savoy cabbage leaves inside a vest top helped me as well as massage (there's a good section on massage in this booklet 'Off to a good start' http://www.healthscotland.com/documents/120.aspx).

Stick at it, your doing really well! It will get easier, it's just unfortunate that you have mastitis, but hopefully your on the mend!

Keep your chin (and boobs!!) up!

xxx
  • Hi MrsPP84, she recommended the rugby ball, which I really liked! It is so draining when they want to be attached all the time!

Had quite a bad night as she wanted to be attached all night and was screaming at the breast and I could tell she was sucking but not getting anything so I think my milk supply has run really low because I'm so exhausted! She was screaming this morning so I've had to top her up with formula which will hopefully give my boobs chance to fill back up! I wont stop Bfing and she has stimulated my breasts all morning as she was attached pretty much from 5am until 11am. I'm actually just happy I could do something for her rather than feeling like a failure!

Thanks Allzo, I will have a look at that, I will give anything a shot! xxxx
  • oh my god im even more scared now lol :S im 37 weeks pregnant and haveing my early labor signs, im still unsure on weather to breast feed, in all honesty i dont want to but as its good for my baby i will do, i have really sencitive nipples always have done even before pregnancey i dont even like them to be touched at times, does this mean it will hurt more? x
  • Have to say i had sensitive nipples, but they toughened up, but still can only wear two kinds of breast pads as the others i get a rash round the nipple area.

For a different position my son only liked the sitting up position when he was little, you sit them on your leg (either they straddle your leg or side sit) and their body faces you and their head is straight on.. you dont suffocate them honestly. Luckily by the time he got too big he had slowly been put into the laying down one, well at first diagonally but now he will even lie down in bed and drink which is great for quick naps or just for you to rest (he is 7 months now). I think i found the first 8 weeks difficult but i was also having pain from my emergency c-section so everything was difficult to do.

Some boobs wont express for anything else other than the baby (mine do this), others will only do it for hand expressing and others really dont care.

I found using calendula cream helped if i had sore nipple/boob (though only had this when using wrong breast pad, but MIL swore by it for everything pain related), as i couldn't use anything with lanolin in case my son got eczema round his face.
  • how are you doing now littlekyns? please tell me you are still going after all u benn through as i have pretty much given up at the moment , espressed a bit today but given formyla too ... just dont know what to do !
  • I'm still going!!! Had a nightmare as the stupid doctor gave me tablet to expel excess fluid, my milk dried up and when I went on the world health org website i saw that she had given me a lactation suppressent!!!!! God I was soooooo angry, had no milk for 24 hours, had to give formula, it's come back a bit today and I've had to put her to the breast constantly to stimulate supply and I've been topping her up! Hopefully I will get my milk back properly tomorrow, I've bought Fenugreek so that I can increase my supply but I dont want to take it with my antibiotics!!!

So...I'm still going!!! If you have to top up hun then you have to do it, have you thought about Fenugreek? A lot of people swear by it! I really want to be a breastfeeder and god knows you are like me...we have tried!!! We can but explore all the avenues but at the end of the day weve got to do whatever is best for them, if they are hungry and we cant give them enough then they need formula!! I've got to get my head around the guilt of formula feeds, it's not like lacing their milk with poison, it's feeding them!

Do you want to carry on? I still really do, when my milk dried up part of me thought oh well thats it now, I have a valid excuse to quit but when I got my milk back I was actually soooooo happy because I didnt want it to be the end of the road!! Anyways I'm rambling but have a good think about what you want to do and don't feel any guilt in your decision! xxxxxxxxx
  • Just wanted to say good on you hon carrying on, you should be very proud of yourself as plenty of people would have given up by now!

It does get easier, I can 100% promise you that! I've not had your struggles but we've had issues with low supply and a couple of blocked ducts. I found it a bit easier after about a month and then these last couple of weeks it's really started to click into place, so I'm sure it will soon for you also.

Well done hon, you're a wonderful mum to your beautiful little lady!!

xxx
  • sorry g/c seen this on the front page, I didnt breast feed but I suffered quite badly breast fever and the pain was awful, a whit cabbage leaf (I had to change it every 15 minutes it was cooking in my bra) and a hot bath every night and then I had to use a hot face cloth on each breast and then massage to try and release the milk and it really helped.
  • littlelyns - i really want to carry on but really not sure what to do , if i carry on bf i am never sure whether my LO is full as he can feed for 3 hours straighjt and still not seem satisfied however if i put him on a bottle it does not soothe him and settle him to sleep so either way he isnt happy - feels like i am trapped at the moment with no easy option , plus like you say the guilt of giving him formula is ridiculous ..... so silly but you just cant help it can you ...... so tired now just want someone to give me the solution but no there isnt an easy one !

think thats why you felt like a decision had been made for you when your milk dissappeared !!

surely all this isnt good for us or our LO 's xxx
  • Well my mastitis has got worse, they want to put me on antibiotics that are not safe for breastfeeding, it means I have to express to keep the stimulation to just throw it away and put her on formula for a week! They seemed to think it was the only option but I said I had to think about it!!! I cried when I got out of the docs!!! Feels like the decision is being made for me!!!!

MummyLintern- it is so hard to know what to do, I just know expressing plus sorting out formula feeds is just gonna kill me!!! Have you spoken to your HV about what you should do? Or homestart?

Cabbage leafs are the only thing I havent tried!!! I will try that tomorrow!

Thanks for all your kind replies xxxx
  • Oh Lyns, sorry to hear this! Is it worth calling up any local breastfeeding councillors or something to see if they can recommend any other antibiotics you can take which won't interfere? They might be more knowledgeable than the docs, you never know.

It doesn't have to be the end of the road but it will be a tough week, I guess if you can get through it you will feel such a sense of achievement when you are better and feeding becomes easy down the line... but only you know what's right for you.

Is there anyway you could kind of compromise and express a few times but not necessarily every feed to keep your supply up and then when you are better slowly build up from there over a few days/weeks. It's definitely possible and would probably be easier on you, and would certainly give you the choice to continue and build up as much as you want to.

I really hope you feel better soon my lovely xxx
  • Went back to the docs today for 2nd opinion!!! I'm now on two sets of antibiotics that I CAN continue to BF with!!! Grrrr why can't they all sing off the same sheet??? So, I'm still BFing despite being horrendously swollen and hopefully I will now be on the road to recovery!!!!

Thanks again for the support!!! xxx