Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Let down

Hi ladies

My little boy is 3 weeks now and over the past few days at the beginning of some feeds he starts coughing and then will cry out as if in pain for a few seconds. Yesterday I noticed that when this happened and he came off my milk was squirting out. He also seems a little bit tentative at latching on now and it can take a few attempts so I'm wondering if this is frightening him.

Does anyone know if this is to do with let down and if so is there any thing I can do to stop it?

Many thanks

Tx

Replies

• Does this happen all the time, or just if you haven't fed for a while? It is possible that it is frightening him a little, but it won't take long to change that.

I get this when I am very full, mostly first thing in the morning and there is a lot of pressure, but some people who have a very fast let down have it all the time.

I find it helps to express a small amount by hand before feeding which releases some of the pressure and means that it does not come out so fast and choke Sophie. However, as she is getting bigger she is better able to cope with it and gulps it down! You may also find that when your supply settles down you won't be getting so full and it won't happen so often.

Hope that helps

Emily & Sophie 10 + 6
  • Thanks Mrs Bear it helps loads and explains a lot. I'm trying hand expressing a little bit beforehand and its working great.

Many thanks

Tx
  • Glad that helped!

Emily & Sophie 11 + 1