Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

need your ideas please?

hiya

im at a planning meeting next week for ideas about how to promote bf during bf awareness week in may, and i'm struggling to think of any ways which we can promot it.

if any of you have any ideas please, would you mind, sharing them with me? Its a regional/town promotion.

many thanks

Stephe
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    sorry i dont have any ideas but how have you got involved in something like this, i would love to.
  • Options
    i've got involved thru the bf suporters course i'm doing, but you can click the links on this page:

http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/en/fe/page.asp?n1=5&n2=13#sub5
    to find out what is running nearer to you.

or is you have sure start near you maybe contact one of their centres - or your mw or health visitor....?

xxx
  • Options
    stepheY what is the course you are doing ?? i have been asked by loads of local mums about feeding and would like to do one i got info from nct but its a degree course and i would have to travel to glasgow (4 hours away) to do the lectures!!
    fea x
  • Options
    Hi there

I BF my baby for 7 months and although to start with i could truly understand why people gave up due to the pain but i gave it 3 weeks and it just got easier to do and i mastered the latching on and the looking after of the nipples using lasinoh cream. If i was to have another baby i would DEF 100% BF again.

I guess you could inform people of the goodness BF gives your baby, and that if your baby is poorly, has a cold or something your Breast milk actually changes to meet the needs of what your baby needs to make them better, its so clever.
    It also give the Mummy such a lovely bonding time and closeness that may help some mums that are struggling with the bond get closer to there baby and those who are already close its just is a loving experience.

BEST of all the fact that it helps with the good old weight loss of the tummy by contracting back when feeding!!! image

• Options
    Steph - have you got a list of all the local shops who support Breastfeeders? They will probably display posters etc... also it's within their best interests to welcome breastfeeders as they will end up with more customers from it - could you design a leaflet promoting these shops which they can give to their customers and that you can give to new Mums. ( I Know if I'd have been armed with a list of places where I KNEW it wasn't going to be an issue then I'd have felt more comfy leaving my home with baby earlier than I did - I had to wait til I was confident/brave enough first....)

Also, early May is when schools sometime have fete's/fund raising events themselves so perhaps look at stalls for those? You can hand out info/leaflets etc - perhaps offer a prize draw - collect peoples details (esp those who are pregnant with their due dates) because then when you have this info you can contact them nearer the time of the birth to remind them you are there for support.

Do you have any community or parish magazines? They are often keen to receive articles from locals so perhaps you could get something written for this?

Would your local surgery publicise any events? Might be worth speaking to the practise nurse and asking if they can help in any way. Perhaps you could offer an 'open morning' actually at their surgery for people to come and find out more (sometimes its more daunting to walk into a breastfeeding support group but easier at a surgery?).

Maybe run a tabletop sale to raise awareness and funds - charge ??5 per table to be a seller?

Check out your local paper for any news headline that you can relate some way to Breast feeding, give them a ring and say you are interested in their story because........xxx and they might give you a follow up story. ....

Not sure if these are the kind of things you were looking for?

Tracey
  • Options
    Ohh I like the idea about the leaflets, that would have been fab when I first had Millie as I was worried about feeding in public.

What about organising some sort of imformal meeting at a local (bf friendly) cafe for new mums?
  • Options
    Thanks for these ladies image Much appreciated.
    I'll be able to go to my meeting armed now :lol:

i think the course i'm doing is run by the sure start program... will double check my info and get back to you.

if you have hvs you could ask them about doing it? Thy should know about it. I'm really enjoying it.

trackieann - we already have a leaflet for all the bf friendly shops, and the bf support group is at the gp surgery, but i'll see if they can arrange an informal drop in session or something, and they'd put posters up for me image

will see if we have a parish mag, havent seen one in two years so not sure.....,
    and will talk about may fairs to see what we can do there.

Absolutely brilliant..... thanks very much.

xxxxx