Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

G/C Has anyone had a negative reactions whilst BF in public

I just have a fear that I will get lots of negative comments when bf in public when my baby is born. I just wanted to ask you ladies what has been said to you and how did you react?

Replies

• I've bfed both of my two, and fed them anywhere they got hungry!! No one has ever said anything to me. I've had some funny looks, some very hostile looks and been tutted at occasionally (mostly when feeding some where very odd :lol: ) but no one has ever actually said anything. Try not to worry hun, the majority of people won't even notice you feeding and the ones that do disaprove strongly enough to say anything are definitely a tiny minority.
    xx
  • i've secretly always wanted someone to say something negative to me ( bit weird i know) cos i feel so strongly about bf and being able to do it anywhere. I cannot believe any human being would dare say anything to a bf mum! i've fed 2 babies, still feeding 11 and a half month old and i feed her in cafes and all sorts, and honestly i have only ever had nice comments. Mainly old ladies smile at me and one once said "that reminds me of when mine were little" and she was about 80!
    just have a response ready just in case, along the lines of "if you dont like it, dont look" but i'm pretty sure you will not get any comments. Be confident, we eat when we need to, so should our babies!
    good luck xxxx
  • No never. I breastfed both lo's in public sometimes for the first few months and never had a comment or a negative look that I noticed. I would often use the sling which is very discreet so you could always do that if you're worried. Not that you should have to be as millysmum pointed out. Try not to worry as it may make you feel more self consious.x
  • milleysmum - i always secretly want someone to say something bad so i can say something back!!!! haha, we can be weird together! But no, ive never had anyone say anything bad, and remember up until baba is 6 months its illegal for anyone to move a breast feeding mother. And once their 6 months, you'll have the confidence to tell them to stick it if they try saying anything! xxxxxxx
  • I've been BF 2 & a half months & only had one funny look off some old biddie in church this sunday :lol: she moved after communition but I don't care at this stage - actually I felt quite in powered that I had the confidence & if she had of said anything about it being discusting _ i'd of said That's what they were put there for & if she thinks it's discusting that's more about the things that are going on in her head! :lol: but that never happened! tbh No body notices (even if you want too! lolI mean you feel proud of what your doing) & the ones that do notice it know what there looking for so have experiance of it! & soooo manny mummies feed when out now it's like you join a special club & there is strength in numbers! xx
  • I never had anyone say anything to me nasty or otherwise, I tended not to pay too much attention to what was going on around me as my lo was quite a frantic feeder
  • I haven't had anything said to me personally, and I've bf all 3 of mine. I have had a few odd looks though - so I just gave them odd looks back! As in why are you staring at me? I'm only feeding my baby!! - stops them in their tracks lol!

I have heard of people getting negative comments - on here and in 'real life' but I think it's rarer than you think. You are protected by law now after all - nobody can stop you feeding your baby in public. It's always good to have the weight of the law behind you!

My mum (in the 1970's) was bfing my brother on the beach once, (under a towel), and an old lady came up to her and said 'I don't think the beach is the right place to feed your baby' - she answered 'I'll feed my baby any place I like thank you very much!' and she stalked off. My mum was obviously a 70's hippy chick lol!

Spend the first few days and weeks practising bf, so that the first time you do bf in public you are really confident. Watch yourself getting baby latched on/off in a mirror to check how much is actually on show. I used to hide under a blanket or muslin, but you can get some fab bf covers now.

Oh, and finally have a ready-prepared response to anyone that does say anything negative to you. Stating that it is illegal to stop a woman bf in public now should do the trick!

Best of luck,

Mx

[Modified by: xx Mims xx on December 09, 2009 12:15 PM]