Forum home› Babies› Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any advice/tips to improve chances of bf successfully...

Hi girls, hope you don't mind me gc... I've just been noesying over the posts in the hope of picking up tips etc. I am really hoping to bf my baby and at the moment feel pritty clueless! I am 32 weeks and 'bumpette' will be born in around 5 weeks time by planned c-section. Thanks for any words of wisdom in advance image xx

Replies

• Options
    hiya, I'm gc too but bf my baby for almost 9 months and loved it. I didn't have a c section but my sister did and she had some good tips, the womb contracts when you feed so it may be a bit more tender for you having c section good information so as you're not too surprised by this. Also might be an idea to get a feeding pillow as my sister did say her tummy was obviously a bit sore due to the stitches etc so another thing to be aware of and to just make it a bit easier maybe.

most of all just remember to try your best and don't worry too much about the amount the baby might be getting at first etc just keep going

I loved bf although it was hard work I really miss it and can't wait to have another baby so I can do it again.

Good luck with everything, not just bf
  • Options
    Be prepared for the fact that you may (well will) feel like yo are not satisfying your lo at some point in the first six weeks, I think that this is one of the main reasons people give up, it probably isn't so it's just your lo is having a growth spurt and putting in a demand for more milk and the only way they get it is by feeding regularly. I found it really useful to make up (or get oh to make up) a jug of drink because I found that the day went and I just hadn't drunk enough have some food what is handy to eat close to hand. Be prepared that when your milk comes in engorgement is painful (I hadn't really considered this).

I hope that things go well for you.
  • Options
    be prepared to sit and feed and then sit and feed some more and then sit and feed some more (you get the idea) to get your supply going. Get some good DVD's or trashy TV or some magazines to sit with and keep yourself entertained while feeding long and hard in those first few weeks.

ASK FOR HELP as soon asyou feel you need it from midwifes, hv or anyone else - you need to get it right from the start to give yourself the best chance.

Be determined and don't aim too far ahead - if things are getting hard just aim for 'one more feed' that was my motto for about 3 weeks I think! but we made it to 10.5 months before he self weaned!

Most of all enjoy it and the special feeling ti gives you when you get lo weighed and know that it ALL came from you! image
  • Options
    Some good advice here - and definitley ask for help if you want/need it, please don't assume that everyone else finds it easy if you don't as this really isn't the case.

My other tip would be to get some Lansinoh nipple cream and start using it straight away, from the first feed, don't wait until you get sore - and hopefully you won't get sore! Good luck x
  • Options
    definitely determination, its not as easy as they make it out to be at parentcraft classes.

Be prepared for some pain, as said the engorgement, and also the let down reflex.

Do know where you can get support, I've been going along to a clinic every week which has kept us going.

Be aware of what problems can arise (I've been unlucky and have had mastitis 3 times and haven't been able to get rid of thrush because of being on antibiotics but if you catch these things early they won't escalate)

LANSINOH!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and hope it all goes well (congrats by the way, remember you from PAB, so pleased for you!)

K and callum 6 +2 xxx
  • Options
    I had a c-section, although it was an emergency not planned. I had a general anaesthetic as I was in very advanced labour when I arrived at hospital and it was very urgent that baby be got out asap. Because of the anaesthetic, baby was very very sleepy for about a week after birth. I don't know if an epidural or spinal block (which will presumably what you will have for your planned section) will have the effect of making your baby sleepy, but certainly you should ask your midwife about this. It was very very hard for the first week to keep up my attempts to breastfeed as my baby just wasn't interested. Once she woke up she made up for lost time, but it is exhausting and relentless at first (regardless of how keen your baby is to feed, although it's harder and quite heartbreaking if your baby won't feed).

I think basically that the people who are really determined to breastfeed will 99% of the time get there. It is not easy for most people and is much harder work in the first few weeks than formula feeding as breastmilk is more easily digested and baby needs feeding much more often. HOWEVER, it is short-term investment for long-term gain as it does get easier and then you have the luxury of not having to sterilise, measure formula or the cost of all the equipment and formula itself for bottle feeding. All I have is a cheap manual breast pump (??10 in the Asda baby event) and a cheap microwave steriliser (also ??10 in the Asda baby event!!!) and a couple of extra bottles. My baby has a bottle of expressed breast milk once or twice a week just so that I can be flexible and go out and leave her with my husband. But that's all. And when we go out, we just have to sling a few nappies and a pack of wipes in a bag and we're off. No planning ahead to make up bottles, no faff with warming them or worrying about germs breeding in made-up bottles - it's so easy.

When you are having a hard time in the first few weeks, remember:
    1. It gets easier; and
    2. Short-term pain for long-term gain!

But on the point about pain, honestly I didn't have any pain with feeding but a lot of people do struggle to get a good latch and suffer pain with feeding. If you suffer any pain at all then get help and support.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Be determined and don't aim too far ahead - if things are getting hard just aim for 'one more feed' that was my motto for about 3 weeks I think! but we made it to 10.5 months before he self weaned!

Agree 100%!

Take each day at a time. Sleep deprivation doesn't help and can get you reaching for the formula. Just give it some time and don't be afraid to ask for help or support. x
  • Options
    i definately recomend a bf pillow this makes it so much more comfortable as it holds the baby at a better height. Be prepared for your baby to feed alot to begin with, many people are shocked that they can feed for practically 23 hours a day to begin with ( not all do ) , Take any offers of help around the house so you can devote yourself to the baby, organise yourself with juice and a snack so you can camp out and feed. most of all enjoy your baby as they grow up so quickly - when they are brand new it feels like they are tiny forever and the sleepless nights seem to go on and on but then all of a sudden you realise they have grown up so enjoy it!!