Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Combination Feeding (also in Baby)

Hi Ladies

I'm looking for some help with feeding please.

LO is 11 days old and has been combination fed from the start due to needing to stabalise her Blood sugar as I had gestational diabetes. We were initially feeding 10 mins on each breast while in hospital and then topping up with SMA.

When I came home Midwife advised that I stop breast feeding and express milk for lo while I allowed cracked nipples to heal, as LO is not great at latching on. Which we did, Midwife then suggested a change in formula as LO was being sick after feeds so have now started using Cow & Gate.

This seemed ok for a few days until I tried to introduce more breast feeding, now LO will spend 15 mins or so on each breast or have expressed breast milk and still cry for more, so we offer formula, the combination of the two seems to make her sick as well, but if she just has one or other she seems better.

But I just don't know what to do, I'm obviously not able to provide enough breast milk as she won't settle and screams after a feed. But I want to try and give her the best start so don't want to give up altogether and just feed formula.

Is anyone in a similar situation, or have any advice for me - is any one formula better than the rest, what have others found? Really need some help, as this is really starting to get me down as I don't know what to do for the best and just keep getting conflicting advice from the so called professionals - at the end of the day they're not the ones sitting at home with a screaming baby or one that keeps being sick!

Any advice gratefully received.

Cx

[Modified by: EmeraldMum2B on 28 May 2010 12:54:02 ]