Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Any ideas? Spitting baby

Hello everyone, I'm new here joining you from pregnancy forum.

My little boy Ashton James is 3 weeks old.

For all the mum's who are bottle feeding can I ask how your baby feeds? What i mean is that Ashton spits/squirts his milk out alot, his bibs are constantly drenched!!! He is gaining weight so I'm not concerned about that it's just the fact that on 4oz he is still only going two hours during the day between feeds but at night he will go 3 or 4 hours?!?!?! The health visitor checked his tongue and it isn't tied so I am a bit confused! Well we all are! I have tried so many bottles and it is all the same!!

Anyone else had the same issues?? Or anyone with advice / tips I would appreaciate it so much.

Clare x x x

Replies

• Hi, my lo also spits/squirts milk but not loads of it. find moving the bottle round a bit helps him to get back into rythm, what teats do you use?? I use the avent airflex 0m ones. But he does suffer with wind. what formula are you using ( i know its irrelevant but i'm just being nosey lol) sara and max (7days today)
  • Hiya!!

I try everything, moving the bottle, pushing it in a bit more but nope it's like he is taking too much swallowing some and spitting the rest out!
    I use the Avent bottles too and he is on the 0m teats! I believe these are the slowest flow? At least I have looked everywhere and can't find any slower teats!
    Ashton actually gets his wind up really well so I have ruled that out as being the problem.

He is on SMA gold at room temperature (a godsend haha)

I just believe he'd go longer through the day if he took more of his bottle. Hmmm

xxx
  • Max was on sma gold up until this morning when i swapped him to aptimal, dont know if it was a mistake as he is throwing loads back up after. but his wind isnt as bad as it was on sma gold. Not sure what to do. Have you been into boots or mothercare to see if there is a slower teat??
  • Awwh is he? Have you tried ringing the midwife for advice? How strange that his wind is better yet he's being sick? Maybe it is just the change over.
    Yeah I have been everywhere had no joy! xx
  • My lo was always fine on the slow flow but he was a big boy. You can get premature teats - I think Dr. Browns do them xx
  • Hi, Neva is having real problems too - i am a bit worried as she is 7 wks today and i thought things were supposed to get easier!
    Since Thursday she has only taken betw 1 - 2 oz at most feeds and is throwing up after almost every feed, plus is having real tummy aches!!

Feel like i am going mad...she is spitting too and we go thru muslin squares like no tomorrow. Went to HV today as i am worried something is wrong but they just said someone would come see me at home...so none the wiser! Its so hard isnt it when you just don't know what is happening!

Feeding time gets me really stressed and as it is every 2 hours ....i am quite stressed!
    I have just got Gripe water as alternative to Infacol as i think it is losing its effectiveness...and we try to burp Neva endlessly...poor thing she must feel patted to death!

Lets hope we both get solutions soon.....going thru formula like no tomorrow!
    xxx