Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone with a 6 week old.....

My lo is 6 weeks today and is still only taking 3-4oz per feed, is this ok? i have been making up 5oz bottles in the hope she will eat more but she pushes away after about 3oz.
She is on Aptamil first and in total usually has 6 or 7 bottles a day. is she getting enough?? if not how do i get her to eat more???

Replies

• That's exactly what my LO was eating at 6 weeks. He is 12 weeks now and still sometimes only takes 3-4ozs at a feed (but makes up for it with a HUGE 6-7ozs feed later on!!!). Be guided by them, they will only eat what they want, I don't know how people expect you to make a baby take more without actually force feeding! Toby is still on 6 feeds per day but he is sleeping from 8pm to 6am. He will have 7ozs at one feed, then perhaps less at the next. He always has roughly the same total ozs per day though! Speak to your HV but I would just say follow your baby's lead and they will tell you when they are hungry.

The only other thing I'd say is, if you think LO wants more but isn't taking it, perhaps try the next teat size up so the milk comes out a bit faster for them?

But if LO is happy, contented, wet & dirty nappies and sleeping ok, then don't worry!

xxxxxxxxxxx
  • My lo is 13 weeks today and take 6 x 5oz feeds a day! That is exactly right for her weight and age! However, somes days she can take as little as 24oz total! You cannot force feed them as they will bring it all up! My lo was doing pretty similar at 6 weeks and has put on weight and grown beautifully!

If you want a rough guide then look at the side of the formula box and it tells you the rough amounts for different ages and weights on there!

If she is gaining weight, happy and content and has plenty of wet nappies then you are doing fine image

P.S. MummyJoo's comment re the next size teat can work wonders! We did it as lo had dropped from 5oz to 3 oz per feed! It worked!
  • thank you ladies, i will try the next size teat! if not, im not worring too much as she seems very happy and gaining weight well so i will let her set the pace.
    xx