Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Which Milk????

Hello,

I am new to all this and a first time mam to be, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which bottle milk is best and when i should buy it ( how long does it last ) ? I have 7 weeks left till due date.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks x

Replies

• Hi,

When we had to make the decision we were told by the midwives that they were all pretty similar so we went with sma gold as I had friends that used it and it was the cheapest. Unfortunately lo got constipation on it so we switched to aptamil which seemingly sorted that out. I think the best way to pick is to see what your local shop stocks in case you need to get hold of some quickly.
    The use by dates are quite long - the one we're on at the moment is 06-01-2011 - and once opened it needs using within 4 weeks, which has never been a problem as we buy around one a week now. I think the first one lasted about 3 weeks.

Hope that helps and all the best for 7 weeks time!
    Clare x
  • same story with amelia she was on sma gold but got constipation so she is now on cow and gate and it has sorted out her consitpation great.

I would say its trial and error im affraid, with what milk suits your baby. x

Good luck for 7 weeks time.
    Sarah XX
  • We use Aptamil as we were told this is the closest to breast milk. We use the ready-made cartons as we find them easier than making up the feeds although they do work out more expensive but won't be forever. (We did try the powder after weeks of being on the cartons but our LO did not take to it for some reason,)

The only differnce between the powder and the ready made cartons is that the cartons have been heat treated and therefore the milk is sterile but the powder is not sterile. I had heard there is more sugar in the ready-made cartons but I checked with Aptamil and they confirmed that they contain exactly the same ingredients although there is less lactose in the cartons as they have been heat treated which breaks down the lactose.

I can only comment on Aptamil though as that is all I have ever used.

• I used Aptamil as again I found it to be the closet to breast milk - I struggled with breast feeding so expressed solidly for 3 weeks and then mix fed for another 2 then just on formula now as I couldn't keep up!

I use the powder at home and the cartons when out and about! x
  • Hi, I use Aptamil too. Ive heard its suppose to be the better one. The HV said she doesnt know of many problems with babies having this one, as I know some make babies constipated. It is more expensive but worth it I think! It is ??7.90 in boots and Asda and lasts about a weekish! xx
  • hi i too am feeding my lo on aptamil but thats only because i was told it was closest to breast milk when i was combined feeding because i believe its definately a case or trail and error with baby as my 1st lo was fine with sma, my 2nd lo was a farleys baby and now my 3rd is an aptamil baby'
    one piece of advice though, if your lo doesn't take bottle very well in the hospital don't think its because he/she doesn't the milk [as i did] you'll probably ind its because the hospital won't let you warm it so they have to have it room temp and neither of my first 2 fed well in hospital but as soon as i got them home and warmed the bottle slightly they drank the lot
    best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy xx