Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how much milk? bit confused and my hv is rubbish!

looking for a little help. my baby is 8 weeks old and i switched from breast to bottle (wih sma formula) at 6 weeks. im a little worried because the cartons say that she should be taking 7oz when feeding, shes aroud 14lb, and shes only taking 3-4oz every 3-4hours.should i try & get her took take more or switch milks?

any help/advice will be appriciated.

laura & baby n

Replies

• Options
    Hi

The tin is only a guideline and if you lo is lasting 3-4hrs thats good. I was orginally with cow and gate and my lo was only taking 4oz, i switched to aptamil and he instantly took 7oz!

I would go on wether she is happy on the milk and she is gaining enough weight. if not might be worth switching to another brand.
  • Options
    my baby is almost 8 weeks old and she is having about 30 oz in 24 hours, she is 11 pounds 9. so that's 5 lots of 5 oz during the day a couple of extra oz before bed then 3-4 oz early morning.

maybe your LO is just getting used to big amounts after breastfeeding? i'd maybe give it a week or so and see if lo starts to take on a bit more?

my lo has built up the amount she takes over the last few weeks.

if yours is still putting weight on i wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    Don't worry! My lo should have been taking 35oz a day and was only taking taking 25oz from about 4 months old. She was gaining weight fine though so she was obviouslyhaving enough! If your lo is gaining weight, is happy and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies then do not change a thing as she is obviously doing really well! If she is lasting 3-4hours between feeds then I would say she is getting what she wants image