Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

makin bottles the old way?

hey just a quick one! does anyone make up their bottles of formula and store in the fridge for upto 24hrs the way you were suppose to few years ago. at mo im just makin up the water and leavin on the side then addin formula when needed but harley is now on cow n gate comfort which is a much thicker powder and it doesnt dissolve properly in just warmed water. i really dont want to have to make each feed from scratch when he needs it as dont like leavin him screaming. it never did my son any harm makin feeds and keepin in fridge, why hav they made it so difficult now. any help most appreciated x

Replies

• think it's safer to make the feeds up in advance with boiling water and cool them down and then fridge them, then making them up with cold water as it's the hot water that kills any bacteria in the milk. Tbh i make every feed up as it's needed but luckily my lo has settled into a routine so i know roughly when she's want a feed.
    I think they changed the recomendations as they found out baby milk isn't sterile and bacteria can grow in milk that has been made up for a while. Putting milk in the fridge slows the growth of bacteria but doesn't stop it.
    xx