Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How to make up bottles?

Hi ladies,

Have had to switch to FF from BF this week with our 2 week old DS. I am using SMA Gold as this is what my mum used for us. but am confused with what to do when making them up. My mum said that she used to make up 6 bottles & keep them in fridge but just heat up when needed- always used within 24 hours. But on the tin it says not to do this & to only make up when required. This is not practical at all with a baby!!

Also we are using Tommee Tippee CTN bottles but have realised that these dont have a cover on like other bottles- is it ok to use these bottle for FF?

its all so confusing this motherhood lark

xxx

Replies

• Hi I still make up bottles the way your mum would have- my mum taught me how to make bottles with my first daughter (who is now 5) as no one showed me how to do it either!
    anyway Im only 25 myself but i use the old fashion way so to speak!
    anyway my hv said its fine as long as you use the bottles within 24 hours or chuck them away if not used.
    i dont really know what you mean about caps on the bottles- i just have teats and lids for over the top of my bottles??
  • I boil the kettle and fill the sterilised bottles with the required amount of boiled water in the morning for the day. I then add the powder as and when I need them, I take them up to bed with me and when we are going out and pre measure the amount of powder I will need and put it in little pots to shake into the water. I really can't see what the problem with this is because the water is boiled and the bottles are sterile so nothing can grow in them. I chuck out any milk that hasn't been drunk by the baby within 2 hours. The concept of making a bottle from scratch and waiting for it to cool down when your baby is screamimg is totally ludicrus!
  • I looked into this 6 weeks ago when my LO was born. I agree - you should follow the instructions on the tin (they are also the official ones from the food standards agency) HOWEVER in practice - they are impossible to follow with a hungry, screaming baby during the day and night... the day after we came home the community MW came to see us and we were nearly in tears becuase we'd spent most of the night boiling the kettle, cooling down bottles etc with a hunrgy boy wialing to be fed now - not in 30 mins when the water had cooled sufficiently!! I asked if we could just do it the above way and she said it was fine as the risk of bacteria is small and most important part is good hand hygiene and proper sterilisation. So we now fill all bottles with boiled water, and put them in fridge till we need them, add milk powder and reheat, no problems so far. I accept this is not the 'official' advice, but in my opinion, it's made mummy and daddy and baby less frantic so we can care for him better. and I've read tons of posts where people do it this way or similar. In my honest opinion, whoever wrote those guidlines, obviously hasn't dealt with a screaming baby in the small hours or the night!
    xx
  • i ignored the box when i had my son. made the bottles 6 at a time and kept them in the fridge. he's 3 now so it wont kill them!
    my sister did the same with both of hers and i will be doing the same with this one as well. making bottles as you need them is not at all practical unless you are planning to stay in the house until the baby stops having milk!
    in the end its up to you. good luck!
  • I do the same as faithie - it's so much easier!

I've also always served at room temperature which makes it easier when out and about as some places probably wouldn't let you heat it up etc, so when I go out I heat up a baby bottle of water to hot and by the time lo needs it it's cooled down sufficiently to just add the powder and for her to guzzle x