Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My 4 month old baby has gone off her milk...please help guys

Hi guys...please help! I'm so frustrated..my four month old baby girl has gone off her milk. I'm luck to get 4 oz's in her rather than the 7oz's she used to take a couple of weeks ago. She seems genuinely hungry but once she reaches the 3/4 oz's mark she fret's and fusses and it's virtually impossible to get the rest in her. I thought she had wind but she continues to 'burp' well. I think she is teetyhing as she always had her fist in her mouth and rosy cheeks etc so maybe it's her teeth....she also only put 4oz's of weight on in 2 weeks recently which is quite concerning to me as surely a baby of 4 months can't survive on 4 oz's of milk at each feed? She seems content through feeds and is never ravenous for the next one either? Iv tried feeding her away from noise in her room which seems to help a little......please help guy's!!! Is it normal for a baby of this age to slow down her feeding?:\?

Replies

• Options
    I don't have the answer I'm afraid but just wanted to say that my girls are doing this too. They were draining 5/6oz bottles but are now taking anything from 2-4oz per feed. They are on Comfort milk which has helped a bit but hasn't solved the problem
  • Options
    Sounds like you are describing my lo a few weeks ago! She cut from 28/30oz a day down to 22oz a day in total and did this for 7/8 wks! She was still gaining some weight though so I wasn't concerned as the weight gain does slow down at this age! Quite a few people have had the same happen

My lo is now almost 21 weeks and the last week has gone up to 7oz bottles totally out of the blue!

I would say if she is happy and content, producing plenty of wet and some dirty nappies and putting on some weight it is fine! unless the hv says otherwise of course image
  • Options
    Hiya, can't help, just to let you know my wee man is doing the same too - he's 4 months old in a week. Good to know he's not the only one! Hopefully they'll all pick up again soon x
  • Options
    Hi everyone..thanks so much for your comments..it's good to know that there are other ppl out there who are as frustrated as me! Yeah she is still putting on a little weight (noy as much as before) so yeah I shouldn't worry to much....I'm sure she will play catch up eventually! Thanks ever so much guy's!!!!!!

Louise x ;\)
  • Options
    My lo started to take less around that age. Think it was a lot to do with teething, he also preferred milk at room temp. instead of warm as is more soothing on his gums. x
  • Options
    Thanks Kel..I will try that! x
  • Options
    hi everyone.

My 13 week old baby girl has all the same symptoms. I realised this started after her 12 week jabs could this be why she is only taking 3-4 oz instead of 6.

It worries you as a new mummy image

net xxx
  • Options

my DS doing same brought him to doc today sadi there is no medical reason for thi. he only up 1lb this month he is now 17wks and i am soooo frustrated i wonder if i change the formula to another brand wud i help???

• Options

Hi guys, my 15 week old has started this, started after his second set of jabs. Went from 7/8oz bottles to 4/5oz worried N I'm not sure what to do.

• Options

Hi my baby is 16 weeks old today for the last few days she has gone of her bottles she has gone from 5 oz down to 3oz I don't know what to do I have tried everything she tries to fight me all the time to itch her feeds 

• Options

Our little man is 18 weeks and has been draining his 7oz bottles for a few weeks, but over the weekend, after he has drank about half the bottle, he fights and pushes you away, and it's a struggle to get any more down him. The only thing that seems to work is to reheat the remaining milk up a little. Does anybody else have any tips? 

• Options

don't worry about it Samuel's daddy - it could just be an oncoming cold, or he may be teething - likely just a passing phase - have you gone up to a bigger teat size? might be time to do that. 

• Options

Thank you Victoria, Ive moved up over the weekend, hasnt helped yet, but I think he is teething a little. Thank you. 

• Options

All mine have done this and my most recent 4 month old is doing it right now!! I let him feed when he wants. Sometimes he can go 6 hours with nothing then only do 4 oz. He was doing 9! He's healthy and happy and not losing weight and still goes through the night. So long as baby doesn't lose weight and is still content, I wouldn't worry. They won't starve themselves.