Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Crying while feeding

I wonder if anyone has any advice for me?

My little boy is 11 weeks old and is bottle fed (from birth). He has always been a good eater, currently on 6 1/2 oz per feed! For the last 2 weeks he has cried during some bottles and refuses to drink, even though he is cleary hungry and is trying his hardest to drink but something is stopping him. It stared on one feed per day from about the 4 oz mark but now is happening on 2/3 feeds per day and sometimes right from the start which means I am having to force him to drink some of his feed, which is upsetting for him as well as me.

He currently has a cold and virus and the doctor is saying that is the cause and to get him to drink what I can but I am not sure this is the case and wonder if anyone else has had a similar expereince?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Kerry

Replies

• my LO is only 3.5 weeks old but she went through a phase of doing this last week when she had a really bad cold and a dead stuffy nose and chest but has since got rid of her cold and has went back to guzzling her whole bottle again xx
  • It could also be teething. they can be really hungry but when they start to suck it hurts and they cry. Try putting some teething gel on before the feed and see if it helps. Dentinox is a very good one xxx
  • has your lo got a white tongue? perhaps he has thrush which can cause a sore mouth? x
  • I went through this with my LO and she was dianosed with Silent Reflux. Unlike reflux where babies project most of their feeds straight back up, this was more like heartburn or indigestion, and so is easy to miss.
    She would cry because she was hungry but refuse to feed because she had learnt (they learn very quickly) that it caused her pain if she took more than a couple of oz.
    Ranitidine and gaviscon is prescribed for this, if you can get to see a paediatrician, they should be able to help, and would ahve more experience than a GP or HV. BTW my HV kept telling me it was colic.