Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Number of F/F per day

Hi all,
Just wanted some advice and see what you are all doing.... the SMA tin recommends 6 feeds of 90ml / day for up to 2 week old - which is about once evry 4 hours. However Jasmine is wanting feeding every 2-3 hours so is having much more than this. Is this OK do you think ? Anyone else have similar problem ? Thanks S XX

Replies

• the first 6 weeks babies will only eat what they want too. If bubs overeats she will just sick it back up again so i wouldnt worry too much about it. I would just make a note of how many she is having to make sure it is enough x x
  • babies do that for longer than 6 weeks lol image summer76 is quite right though - they only have what they want so I would not worry at all! the tin is only a guideline! Is she definitely having the 90ml every feed or is she having more feeds but less milk? Just wondered as mine was a frequent feeder too! But she had nowehere near the guidelines! At one point she should have been having 35oz and was actually having 25oz (per day!). I didn't worry though as she was gaining weight fine, had plenty of wet and dirty nappies and was fine in herself! The only time you need to be concerned is if the weight gain isn't happening or they don't have plenty of wet nappies image
  • I agree I would just give what bubs wants......at that age babies vary in weight so much that a 5lb baby at birth will no doubt eat less than a 10lber

xxx
  • My boys are the same - every 3 hours during the day but they have an oz, sometimes 2, less than the recommendations.

My main problem is their habits vary massively from day to day so I never know what theyre having!! Try not to worry xx
  • I agree, just go with babies demands. We started AJ on 90 mls but he was feeding every 2-3 hours a the beginning, he has days now where he feeds every 2 or 4 hours, theres no fixed pattern. He's just over 9 weeks now and is having 210 mls, on the box that says a 4 month old but he weighs nearly a stone!

Trust in your daughter to let you know what she wants, otherwise the guidelines will drive you nuts xxx