Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Changed from Aptamil to SMA then to Aptamil ED

I was giving EBM for Phoebe til she was 3 & a half weeks old.
Found i was getting really stressed at not producing enuff BM for her. Also found being tied to pump evey 2 hours very hard as it would take her nearly 2 hours to feed in those days.
So i followed advice that happy mum = happy baby and changed her onto formula.
I felt so much better & alot more relaxed and back to myself (no more tears!) & Phoebe was doing really well.
But her poo's started to slow down......... then they were 48-36 apart!
Spoke to HV who said its perfectly normal for a FF baby to go once a day, but im sorry i just cant sit and watch her strain after every feed to poop like she used to after having BM.
So after speaking to other friends who've recentley had babies........they all fed their babies SMA Gold as it was what they were given in hospital. Their babies poop 3-4 times a day at least!!!

So i wanted a slice of the action too.............well we started Phoebe yday (BH Mon) around 2pm and shes been !!3!! times since her first bottle and its back to "normal" yellow with seeds in (as she was before) rather than yellowy green paste that filled her nappy n babygrow once every 36-48 hrs!
God im SO relieved as she is so much happier and alot more settled too.
Im a great believer in "all babies are different" but its made SO much difference that i felt i should post just incase someone else is struggling too.

Hope ive helped someone at least......but if not im a really happy mummy that my bambino is back to her old self again ;o)

p.s shes 6wks on friday and is now 7lb 2oz (she was only 5lb 4oz full term, born on her due date!)

UPDATE: well twas not to be SMA................her poop turned into hard rabbit droppings and she screamed the house down trying to go so shesnowon Aptami. Easy Digest and so far so good it'll be a week on monday and shes been twice a day and trumping for england!
Also changed her onto Dr Brown bottles which are fab aslong as you dont want to heat them up.
Roomtempbottle only for my gal n she darn well loves em !

ICSIBABY xx

[Modified by: ICSIBABY on 06 June 2009 00:02:35 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hey just wanted to know how you are getting on with the SMA? My lo poo's every 24-36 hours since we changed from EBM to Aptamil (although now we're using Cow & Gate), yet with EBM he was going very regularyly almost after every feed. I know FF babies aren't supposed to go as often as BF babies but I still don't know whether he is going enough because he does get really unrelaxed after feeds and looks like he's straining but he just farts loads!

I've heard mixed reports about SMA. On the net ppl say it makes babies constipated and sicky, etc but I hear nothing but good off family and friends so not sure whether to try it. Also, Cow & Gate and Aptamil have never really satisfied my lo, he feeds around every 3 hours but sometimes won't got longer than 2 during the day, so I was wondering whether SMA was more filling?
    xxx